The Dark Mod Forums

Minor issue with tdm_update and tdm_game02.pk4

gnartsch

Hi !

I noticed a minor (?) issue. Not sure if this might affect someone at all or not.

But I thought I bring it to attention anyway.

After running tdm_update (on Windows) I noticed that tdm_game02.pk4 is corrupt.

All other files are OK.

I know that this file is for Linux only, but maybe some people might be affected when copying the updated DarkMod files to a Linux system ?

Maybe this is just a theoretical issue ... I don't know.

Ok, this is what I did :

I had TDM 1.0.4 installed.

I ran a archive test on the pk4 files and got this for the archive in question.

E:\Games\Doom3-TDM\darkmod>C:\Programme\7-Zip\7z.exe t tdm_game02.pk4

7-Zip 9.20 Copyright © 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov 2010-11-18

Processing archive: tdm_game02.pk4

Testing gamex86.so

Testing binary.conf

Everything is Ok

Files: 2

Size: 8866185

Compressed: 3554540

So everything was OK (and the archive was not in use by any process either).

Then I ran tdm_update (to upgrade to version 1.0.5), which reported no error and checked the archive again.

This time I got :

E:\Games\Doom3-TDM\darkmod>C:\Programme\7-Zip\7z.exe t tdm_game02.pk4

7-Zip 9.20 Copyright © 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov 2010-11-18

Processing archive: tdm_game02.pk4

Testing binary.conf Data Error

Testing gamex86.so

Sub items Errors: 1

The issue can be solved by deleting tdm_game02.pk4 and running the updater again,

which will retrieve the entire file.

When upgrading from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 I had noticed the same issue already.

Thanks !

Edited by gnartsch

Found the problem. The tdm_game02.pk4 file contains (like all game binaries) the binary.conf info file which is exactly 2 bytes in size. In the Linux game PK4 this file is saved without compression (STORE) whereas in Windows the file is DEFLATED. When merging the PK4 files the updater is copying the raw data chunks between zip files and had been handling all data chunks as DEFLATED - for this one file this method was wrong, as the raw data is not deflated but stored. This lead to the integrity check failures. We have a couple of files that were stored in tdm_models01.pk4, but these are 0-sized files that's why I didn't run into this issue before while writing the updater.

Expect this to be fixed when 1.06 rolls out, a new updater will be included in that release.