The Dark Mod Forums

Need .ase adjustment

Springheel

Well, I'd like to see a pic of an lwo that is better then. This pot for example is one of the roundest in game. So it's going to be the hardest to clip good.

As in Greebo's example You either have it so the corners don't stick out and the ground will clip through the inside of the pot. Or you have it so the inside of the pot doesn't clip, but the corners will jut way out.

Sure it might not float 'once resting', but if it is thrown it will roll over those corners, floating as it does, if it lands on something or against a wall and ends up on the corners it will float. If something is dropped on top just right then that object will float. If used as a mover and player tries to drop something inside it will float.

The size does matter because the larger the object is, the more space the corners that stick out will take up, thus the more noticable the floating will be. I'd think you could see that easily enough. 1 3 foot pot will have 8 inch corners sticking out to float on. a foot and a half pot would have 4 inch corners...

Also I think a lot of the lwo's are lower poly, thus not as many sides, thus the 5-7 sided cylinder better well matching the shape, thus less floating issues.

Before you argue my points invalid at least read what I say and think about it. I'm not talking out my ass fdor the last 10 posts, I know exactly what the issues are.

And your welcome btw, for explaining to you how the collision model can be made.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Well, I'd like to see a pic of an lwo that is better then. This pot for example is one of the roundest in game. So it's going to be the hardest to clip good.

As in Greebo's example You either have it so the corners don't stick out and the ground will clip through the inside of the pot. Or you have it so the inside of the pot doesn't clip, but the corners will jut way out.

Sure it might not float 'once resting', but if it is thrown it will roll over those corners, floating as it does, if it lands on something or against a wall and ends up on the corners it will float. If something is dropped on top just right then that object will float. If used as a mover and player tries to drop something inside it will float.

The size does matter because the larger the object is, the more space the corners that stick out will take up, thus the more noticable the floating will be. I'd think you could see that easily enough. 1 3 foot pot will have 8 inch corners sticking out to float on. a foot and a half pot would have 4 inch corners...

Also I think a lot of the lwo's are lower poly, thus not as many sides, thus the 5-7 sided cylinder better well matching the shape, thus less floating issues.

Before you argue my points invalid at least read what I say and think about it. I'm not talking out my ass fdor the last 10 posts, I know exactly what the issues are.

And your welcome btw, for explaining to you how the collision model can be made.

Just a quick note: I don't know exactly what the engine does, but it is possible for clipmodels to be cylinders with X sides, AND making the engine treating them as "round" instead of a 7-sided cylinder with corners.

The documentation seems to be entirely missing from our def files, and from our wiki and I couldn't find it on iddevnet either, but either there is a special spawnarg for it, or some special classes have the ability (like the explodable barrel from doom3). Some hints on this are still in the doom

entityDef moveable_explodingbarrel {

"inherit" "atdm:entity_base"

"editor_color" "0 .5 .8"

"editor_mins" "-16 -16 0"

"editor_maxs" "16 16 48"

"editor_rotatable" "1"

"editor_displayFolder" "x doom3 junk"

"editor_usage" "Moveable barrel. Works just like a func_moveable. However the barrel"

"editor_usage1" "has special handling to make it appear more round. This version also explodes when damaged enough."

The other problems with CMs still persist, of course :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Spring, can't you see the CM in DR if you enable it from the Filters menu and load the model in question? The CM should be the green faces then.

Also, if you just want to make a cylinder CM, you can use the following spawnargs:

"cylinder" "7" // 7 sided

"size" "4 4 4" // in units

The advantage of this is it needs no file, it can be changed more easily, and possible later we can optimize these cylinders to be actually round (so the physics engine can do the right thing regardless of nr of faces). It might be a bit more difficult to set up (you need to measure the model's dimension in DR) but thats a one-time thing.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax