The Dark Mod Forums

Request: shop sign

Bikerdude

I was planning on making a couple new signs.

This would be a good place to list ideas. Mostly generic things, though names for inns and whatnot would be good.

Can't promise I'll do too many...Also, if you find a particular shape, show a pic

Wine Shop

Armory (well, I already made the blacksmith sign with weaps on it)

Bakery

Gah, I should've written the ones I already thought about down...

Pub/Inn, we have one but a few names would be good

Fish Monger? Deli/ Butcher?

apothecary

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

If you put names on them, would it be possible to have the text translatable?

Of course, havining the text being worn, old etc is better than the "GUI" text overlay (which is alway rendered tack-sharp). Maybe we can extend somehow the font rendering of the GUIs.

So maybe a compromise would be that the shop sign is a roundish hanger with two small hcains and a rectangular/rounded smaller shild below it, which has the name on it? Than we can have them w/ and w/o name.

Also, what I'd LOVE to see is MD5 entities, e.g. the ssign itself is rotatable round the hanging axis, and if there is a small sign below it, it consist of 2..3 chain-elements hanging down. E.g. so the signs behave correctly with physics, and we can f.i. drive them with dynamic wind.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Dont need text on the sign, in fact we should have sign that are pictures only as well as ones with text. The picture only ones because 1. back in medival times most people could not read and 2 said sign dont need translating.

@BC, yeah I would love all of those signs and regarding the armory we still need a generic (non-blacksmith) one.

Yeah, I just really dislike the GUI signs. I guess they are good if they can translate. But they just look like they came out of a typewriter.

I'll just do pics (wish I could get screenies without crashing.) If anyone can get some screens of certain objects with decent lighting /shadows it would be cool.

We discussed the md5 thing a long time ago and nobody was really for it.... has that changed? I noted in a thread awhile ago, we can also do moving buckets, etc.. (we have bucket demo-not map just md5- on svn I believe)

One issue is that md5 file sizes are pretty large.

Then the issue of 'if we can hit signs with swords why can't we hit :insert 1,000 items here:'

Signs with images only are of course the best from a translation point of view - and I don't mind them at all.

As for the swinging, we have gone to great lenghts to make swinging signs, but they are "wrong" (just a fixed swing, not physics based). The counter argument isn't something I'd accept, because you CAN hit moveables with your sword, and buttons with an arrow. Almost all the rest of the world is rightfully statics.

So between moveables and static items there are not many items that would be semi-static (e.g. fixed to the world, but need physics to animate). Swinging signs, swinging lamps are mostly what I can think of.

There are a few corner cases (swinging pipes etc) that lead to physics puzzles, but these are not that important (as apparently nobody ever missed them).

So I think it would be really useful if we could have "dummy" MD5 entities that consist of just a joint and are invisible. You could then attach one end to the world, the other to the entity and off it goes. We'd need at least two (one that rotates freely for chain-type-hanging, and one that rotates around one axis only for the "hook around staff" type hangers). But with these, we could build a lot of stuff, instead of making a new MD5 for every shopsign or lamp.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

OK Biker,

I committed a new sign...

sign_half_round_wine. New model, new texture, I'm burnt for the night. Hope you like it. Also committed a new loot stash ;) (and prefab for it and silver jewelry box)

It still needs an LOD, a shadow mesh and skins. It should work fairly well with all of Springheel's current skins.

If you can wait a few days I'll have an entity made so it has LOD's, but if not you can just use the model or replace later. I'll update with shadow mesh soon enough.