The Dark Mod Forums

Can anyone recommend a modern and proper mp3 player?

lost_soul

By proper, I mean

*has at least 32 GB of flash memory

*has a memory card slot

*uses Universl Mass Storage to interface with a PC, so it can be used with any OS

*has WIFI

*good battery life-- at least 30 hrs of music playback, video not (as) important

*running android

*supports the usual formats, OGG/FLAC/MP3/AAC

Please note that all Apple products are immediately disqualified because they don't match the criteria above.

Thus far, I've found:

Archos 43

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-43-16GB-Internet-Tablet/dp/B0042RRTOC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361033575&sr=8-2&keywords=archos+43

Looks great! Includes TV-out, 16 GB (which is my absolute minimum). The single issue with this device is that it is old. That means the manufacturer will release a new model before long and drop support for this model. That scares me away.

Samsung Galaxy Player:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-YP-GI1CB-XAA-4-2-Inch-Galaxy/dp/B007SRNPPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361033759&sr=1-1&keywords=galaxy+player

This would be a good choice, but the capacity is a joke (8 GB). I got a 16 GB flash-based player half a decade ago, so asking for at least that much today is not unreasonable.

I have about 80 GB of music, so it would be ideal if I could stick in a 64 GB sd card in the not-to-distant future and have all the music with me.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Why not get a smartphone and use that for music listening? Phone and media player in one.

This is a good option. Actually I gave up on the idea of having an mp3 player, bought a micro SD card for my phone instead. It's just 8 gigs worth but it's good enough for me. :)

Only thing that sucks is if someone phones you while you're in the middle of an awesome air-guitar solo... <_<

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered one of these today for real cheap. It is used, but meets my basic criteria and is 16 GB. Others have reported that a 64 GB sdxc card will function in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dba5JJmIono

This was only $60! Its old hardware, but it can dual-boot Linux, so in theory can be expanded with sdxc to insane levels in the future. Sdxc allows cards up to 2 TB and with an open OS, there is no advantage in crippling it to not support these things

Also, a lot of the music I have is tracker music, so I'll bet you can use an app for Android to play these in zip form, massivly cutting down on space requirements. On a standard mp3 player, you would have to render a 400 K tracker file as a 4 MB traditional music file... lol

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.