The Dark Mod Forums

XBox360 Can't update for GTA5

Fidcal

I hardly ever use XBox Live. Months ago since last time but I can't remember how. Now I need to update GTA5 or it says it won't play. Forty quid worth of plastic crap unless I can fix it.

There seems to be two ways: direct to modem or via PC

Connecting to PC seems to require two network connections. I only have one. If there is any way to do via usb then I don't have a cable. All my usb cables have the normal plug at one end that goes in the PC (eg from a drive) plus a different plug at the other end. The XBox USB is the same as the PC. It makes sense that that is the 'controlling' end and the other plugs are 'controllable devices' like a printer or drive.

So, that leave direct to modem. I pulled out my network connection from my PC and plug it in the back of the XBox. Update fails.

Run Network test.

It connects to network: OK

It connects to internet: OK

It then says there's an Xbox update so I say yeah and it says there is an error - run the Network test!!

So repeat but this time I refuse the update and it continues the test and reports an error:

Status code:

4099 - 0000 - 3080 - 0504 - 8007 - 2AF9

Google returns one instance of the above which doesn't help.

XBox on line support gone through troubleshooter but doesn't solve it.

Yet I know I've done updates before. Not many. I've used XBox Live about 4 times in 6 years I reckon.

What else can I try?

Looked at network settings. Reset to factory defaults. Doesn't help.

Go through settings. Mostly I don't know what it means but there is something like this (I can't check because I'm sick of changing plugs back and forth lying on the floor trying to reach around the back of the bloody pc and xbox!:

User Name:

Service Name:

Password:

Does that mean my ISP? But as I recall it said don't use this if you are using a router or modem or something which makes no sense. Anyway, I have a user name and password but what's a service name? Anyway, the telephone line is already connected to them via my pc. Anyway, I'm fairly certain I've never entered those before yet I have used Xbox Live a few times.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing that's for PPPoE? Some connections require a username and password be provided to the ISP when you want to connect. (background info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPPoE)

If you're using a router, then you had to put that info into the router to connect if your ISP required it. As such, when connecting to Live through the router, you would not need to put it in the XBOX again.

I don't really have any suggestions to try, but damn, that's a bad error message. Why can't it say "No response from server", or "file not found on server", or "no available client slots" instead of hex-code?

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Okay, I left it till this morning. Switched on. Didn't change anything. Did exactly as before and this time it connected and updated! So it could only really be server error yesterday I think. So why don't M$oft put up a message try again later?

Oh well, at least I'm playing GTA now and I can take it out on the other characters.