The Dark Mod Forums

Grappling Hook (donation/help Required)

Metal

No disappointment...just means I have to do more research, I was just hoping for a point in the right direction :)

So if you have any suggestions on where I can start looking as far as if it should be just a model a new entity with a func_rope entity attached to it...or anything it'd help, but till then it's just alot more research for me :P

If it helps, idChain is defined in /src/game/AFEntity

(It stands for articulated figure entity)

Also an interesting function you might want to look at to make the rope is:

void idChain::BuildChain( const idStr &name, const idVec3 &origin, float linkLength, float linkWidth, float density, int numLinks, bool bindToWorld )

Apparently it needs the density to do a realistic hanging chain (ie, chain with heavier links is going to hang differently). So if you want nice behavior, you should put in the density of rope. I don't know that number off the top of my head :)

I think I posted the density of modern nylon ropes somewhere in our private forums, but you probably want the density of medieval ropes which I guess were hemp or something.

Also, I think origin is where it hangs down from.

Edited by Ishtvan

@Dram: good idea with the crane! I totally forgot about that level...I'm gonna load it up and take a look at it again.

@Domarius & Ishtvan: Thanks for the tips, I had a feeling it would end up being an af, and I was actually look at the idChain earlier today, and I stumbled upon an env_rope that is already in the code! However they removed the mesh files for it...so I can't get it to load to see how it works or even if it works

I've also been reading through the different script functions and I think I may have found some stuff that will help me to get the swing working...and I have a pretty solid idea of how to get the hook to check for a proper place to grab onto the level...but it's still just all an idea with a few sketched concepts. I'll be sure to let you guys know as more unfolds :)