The Dark Mod Forums

Just built this: Gaming rig.

Bikerdude

Just finished building this rig for SirTaffsalot for not far of the price/perf of a PS4.

• Mobo - Asus P8Z68V
  • Cpu - Core i3-3240 3.50GHz
  • Case – Zalman Z3plus -
  • Gpu - HD 5870
  • Psu - Coolermaster 700w single 12v (55A) rail
  • Ram – Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 - 2x4GB
  • Hdd – WD green 1TB
  • OS - Win7proX64 OEM full

post-496-0-26268000-1389222562_thumb.jpg

post-496-0-93218800-1389222571_thumb.jpg

• What was your budget overall if you don't mind me asking?
  • Also, you going to go with an aftermarket CPU cooler?

• The plan was to keep it under £500, which we beat.
  • That Core i3-3240 produces no heat, its only a 55w part. If Sir Taff at some point in the future upgrades the CPU i5/i7 and wants to o/c then it might be worth it.

Biker is the master of gaming PC builds - he configured my last two machines and both worked great. The first one ran everything at a decent level for almost 5 years, and I put together the last one about 2 months ago, and it's running great and definitely Thief 4 ready. B)

Yeah, both the Asus and HD 5870 were my main spares, the money from which will be going towards thier replacements. I gave SirTaff the option of going for a brand new mobo and a pricer HD7850, but that would have meant going over budget. The mob has a 1yr wty left and I gave a 1mnth wty on the 5870.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Status Updates

• nbohr1more

The FAQ wiki is almost a proper FAQ now. Probably need to spin-off a bunch of the "remedies" for playing older TDM versions into their own article.
      · 1 reply
    • nbohr1more

Was checking out old translation packs and decided to fire up TDM 1.07. Rightful Property with sub-20 FPS areas yay! ( same areas run at 180FPS with cranked eye candy on 2.12 )
      · 3 replies
    • taffernicus

i am so euphoric to see new FMs keep coming out and I am keen to try it out in my leisure time, then suddenly my PC is spouting a couple of S.M.A.R.T errors...
      tbf i cannot afford myself to miss my network emulator image file&progress, important ebooks, hyper-v checkpoint & hyper-v export and the precious thief & TDM gamesaves. Don't fall yourself into & lay your hands on crappy SSD

· 7 replies
    • OrbWeaver

Does anyone actually use the Normalise button in the Surface inspector? Even after looking at the code I'm not quite sure what it's for.
      · 7 replies
    • Ansome

Turns out my 15th anniversary mission idea has already been done once or twice before! I've been beaten to the punch once again, but I suppose that's to be expected when there's over 170 FMs out there, eh? I'm not complaining though, I love learning new tricks and taking inspiration from past FMs. Best of luck on your own fan missions!
      · 4 replies