The Dark Mod Forums

select by just clicking?

Skaruts

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything about it.

But is there any way to change the select method to a simple click without the use of shift (and alt)?

(and possibly use shift to build brushes instead, reversing things)

I find it a bit annoying, especially since it differs from every single app I've been using for years.

My FMs: By The Cookbook

Although the simple Select isn't in the list of operations you can re-bind as far as I can see, nor are any of the mouse controls.

Not the answer you were looking for I know, but I'd recommend just getting used to it even if it *is* possible to re-bind. I'm guessing Select was designed to be a very deliberate operation because of the danger of dragging a bit of your world geometry by accident. Left-click and drag currently creates a new brush if you don't already have a selection, and it's immediately obvious when that happens. I for one do it by accident sometimes when trying to strafe across the grid, and if Click alone selected stuff, I'd no doubt have moved many foreground brushes whose borders were off-screen at the current zoom level. That would be very frustrating to find later, especially since it's most likely to happen when you're using a very small grid for detail work. With shift+click to Select, you don't do it by accident and you know straight away when a foreground brush is blocking your select attempt.

Yea, I was thinking there might not be a way. I gave a cursory look through the files and there doesn't seem to be a config file for controls.

I can live with it, though. I just find it perhaps more encumbering than advantageous, to be completely honest. I'd say it's advantages might be highly debatable. But I may be biased since I've been mapping with Valve Hammer for years, which makes me totally loathe (with evil eyes, protruding teeth and drool and all that) pretty much every other editor in the world - with the only exceptions being quake-derived editors (because they work similar to it), which I don't necessarilly hate but I always find annoyances...

Anyway, thanks anyway. :)

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook