The Dark Mod Forums

Allow broadhead arrows to break glass lamps

Allow broadhead arrows to break glass lamps  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be possible to use broadhead arrows to break and permanently disable fragile electric lights?

• Yes, add the feature and enable it on all existing lamp entities that would be fitting.
    • Yes, add the feature and enable it on all existing lamps, but also compensate with a downside such as AI being alerted by smashed lights.
    • Yes, add the feature but only for new lamps or alternate definitions of existing ones without changing behavior retroactively.
    • No, the functionality would be bad for gameplay or not worth bothering to implement.

23 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

oh duh, that was a stupid question on my part. On my phone it looked like shards of glass.

Well, it's over fast enough it's hard to see and the Youtube compression probably loses a lot of the detail.

4 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Oh wow, that is amazing! It must require a custom script I imagine? Didn't think that was possible even with one and the S/R system, that's very impressive. Definitely curious about a few things:

1. Does it distinguish between collisions with the glass and frame? If the arrow hits a metal part it shouldn't do anything, it should only break if the glass in particular was hit.
  2. If the lamp is triggered by a switch, does flipping it no longer turn the light on once it's broken?
  3. Can you use a broken skin rather than model? With some lamps it would be easier to only change the skin and replace the glass, of course both should be supported based on what works best for each lamp.

Thanks. No scripts were harmed in the making of this. It's pretty simple to do because of the broken and brake spawn args.

1. It does distinguish, but I don't even know why😁  It must be a property inherent in the glass material.

2.  Good question, I'll have to get back to you.

3.  I don't know how to use skins. OK, I tested it on a stock model. That doesn't work. If you use the same model for "broken", but just change the skin in the properties, it also applies the skin to the unbroken model (and vice versa).

Oh, I just discovered you don't even need to put a stim/response on the arrow. It automatically breaks glass when you add the break and broken spawn arg on the object (you still need to make a broken model of course). Isn't that handy?

Edited by grodenglaive
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

If the lamp is triggered by a switch, does flipping it no longer turn the light on once it's broken?

Adding a switch breaks it. It would require a workaround since the switch acts like a trigger, similar to the arrow. Interestingly If you turn it off and on again the bulb shatters, but the light also comes on.   

• Like 1