The Dark Mod Forums

Fancy Light 1

DeepOmega

So. I've spent the last two days getting normal mapping working. Attached is an ASE file, along with the diffuse, specular and normal maps as TGA files. The specular is kinda dead right now, but I don't feel like fixing it, so someone else can deal. :)

I've managed to get normal mapping mostly working - the biggest issue is getting nice UV mapping that doesn't result in ugly, ugly normals. This version is the best to date, but I'm not done trying. The globe of the light itself is the biggest problem, really, since it's large, seamless, and not very flat.

Someone should try to get these into Doom 3 - as for myself, I'm taking a break. This has been way more effort than it should have been.

Edit: Whoops - forgot to actually attach it.

FancyLamp.zip

Edited by DeepOmega

ok, its in game...

...sort of.

Its not without its problems though DeepO...

lamp001_deepo.jpg

first of all, its a little on the big side (about 3 zombies high, lol). Scaling is something that happens in Max, not in the Doom3 editor... If it helps you can export objects from Doom3 Radiant and load the into max as a scale reference.

Second, its a non Doom standard grid size. Setting up your grid size in Max to match the grid size in doom will make it a hell of a lot easier to attach the lamp accurately to walls :) Doom uses grids based on 8s, does max default to grids based on 10s?

Thirdly, I am having trouble getting textures onto models and ingame generally. (it requires manually hacking the model file and frankly it isn't fun). You're lamp is no exception :(

I'll come back to it in a day or so when I have had a bit more practice....

Forthly, I don't use Max (do I look rich :)) otherwise I'd have had a go at fixing this stuff for you. I use blender. It might be possible to share editable copies of the file in .3ds format...

Fithly, Radiant has a small moan about defunct triangles. It might be worth checking the model for loose ends...

Edited by jay pettitt

You know, I should probably get around to learning Radiant, so I can get actual, working models to you guys. Plus, I have a couple of fragment shader ideas - will have to see if I can't figure out how to get falloff self-illumination glow working.

But - it's a model! In game! Awww yeeeah!