The Dark Mod Forums

Proposal: Slight Reorganization Of Models.

New Horizon

Currently, we have models/props and then some stuff that has been falling outside of this folder. For example..

models/architecture

models/doors

These should all be inside the models/props folder as well, otherwise...it's going to become pretty disorganized. I noticed that the textures for the door reside inside the door model folder. Not trying to be preachy but we have to follow the guidelines to keep things together.

Ideally, models/chars should have its own models/chars/textures, instead of scattering the character textures throughout different folders.

After I get all the movie footage shot, I'll sit down and sort out the few models that are outside of the props folder. Then I'll see if we can bring everything else in line with this setup so the guidlines apply to all of the resources inside the models folder.

well it's quite illogical imho to put architecture stuff into the props folder - of course it can be a language barrier, but as far I know props = requisites and I wouldn't call architectural stuff like a whole hallway a requisite.

doors however would fit into the props folder, but I left them out for a specific reason - it's not clear yet, but I think doors will need animations and thus they'll need to be md5meshes and will need md5anims. the props folder should only be for static meshes and moveables imho otherwise things will become too complicated.

well it's quite illogical imho to put architecture stuff into the props folder - of course it can be a language barrier, but as far I know props = requisites and I wouldn't call architectural stuff like a whole hallway a requisite.

Yeah, it's kind of a grey area. Likely something we'll have to nail down at a later date. It could go either way. Keeping architecture separate is probably the best idea and then we can break it down into subfolders within the architecture folder...domes, windows, doors...etc.

doors however would fit into the props folder, but I left them out for a specific reason - it's not clear yet, but I think doors will need animations and thus they'll need to be md5meshes and will need md5anims. the props folder should only be for static meshes and moveables imho otherwise things will become too complicated.

:) Ahhh, you're thinking that doors should go in props. They would work there too but for some reason, I think it makes more sense to put them in architecture.

As for them needing to be Md5anims...they really shouldn't need to be, but it would likely make them much easier to setup if they were. If they were md5 anims..you could just drop them in place...make them locked, unlocked...and be done with it. With the current system, I can setup your door model as a frobbable door and make it move but I'm having trouble figuring out how to put the doors origin point on the side. As it stands...the door currently pivots from its middle.

I'll start a new thread on that very subject actually.