The Dark Mod Forums

An Upgrade!

saxmeister

Well, I've finally done it! I'm upgrading to the newest version of SONAR so that my virtual studio wil be much better equipped for more work. So, hopefully you guys will be hearing some more work from me soon!

Anyone else use SONAR instead of the other biggies out there (Cubase, Logic, DP, etc.) ?

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

I've used Sonar 5. Seems extremely powerful, and not super hard to use (at least to do basic stuff), though it still (like every other one out there) makes me cry out "why no staff!?" Pretty good base sound library, and the same friend who has it had some gig or something sound libraries for it that were unbelievable.

I've used Sonar 5. Seems extremely powerful, and not super hard to use (at least to do basic stuff), though it still (like every other one out there) makes me cry out "why no staff!?" Pretty good base sound library, and the same friend who has it had some gig or something sound libraries for it that were unbelievable.

No music staff? Is that what you mean? Sonar has a staff so you can actually write the notes in as you would using staff paper. Even the HomeStudio version (the cheap one) has that.

@Pak: I've got some killer VST instruments most of which are freeware I could either send you or send links to. I've even got a great emulator of the classic MiniMoog synth and the ARP2600! They sound great.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

Here is a screenshot (smaller than real size) of an older version of Home Studio doing the staff over top of the track view (which is what everyone is used to seeing). It also does the piano roll view and sysex information view (if you really want to get technical). I have almost unlimited MIDI channels and I think 48 channels of audio for HomeStudio. Sonar will just expand that with a prettier interface and more plug-ins and virtual instruments.

post-104-1148164244_thumb.jpg

That's just the old version of HomeStudio. There are newer versions with many more and better features that can be downloaded as a trial. You can't save your work but you can either capture the audio from another editing program to save your work or you might be able to "fix" the trial. Here is the link to download the Sonar 5 demo.

http://www.download.com/Sonar-Producer-Edi...tml?tag=lst-0-4

I still don't have the new software so I'm anxiously awaiting that and will let you know how good it is!

Ack.

Okay well, I've seen Cakewalk.. I think version 9? And Sonar 5. So Sonar 5 has a music staff? I couldn't find it, either by myself nor in documentation. In fact, I'm pretty sure I remember reading there is a way to have a staff, through linking Sonar with another program, but not natively, and I can't remember which program. To make it even more confusing, I think that program may have been... *drumroll*... Cakewalk. :wacko:

I guess the best question would be - when I'm at the friend's house with Sonar 5, how do I use a staff? ^_^

Edit: oh and I should indicate that that image definitely does not look like the Sonar version that I used.

@Spar: Glad you oculd find a backup. I finally found mine today (a little late, sorry!).

Yeah, Cakewalk went up to about version 11 (I think) and then got renamed Sonar and they are on version 5 now. I got mine in the mail last night (the full blown Producer edition!) and got it running.

I've attached some pics below that show how to get to the staff on Sonar. First of all, insert a new MIDI track and then go up top and find the "Staff" button, click it and voila you should have the staff.

post-104-1148608233.gif

post-104-1148608289_thumb.jpg