The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Reorg Progress

sparhawk

The main point of the texture reorg is to change the layout of materials for mappers. Then at a later date (especially once I figure out how to construct DDS normalmaps), I can go back through and move the source images or create DDS files at my leisure, without having any adverse affect on mappers.

Isn't is possible to just make a 'windows' folder, with maybe 'lit' and 'unlit' subfolders? That way any windows you add later can be put into those folders, and we don't have to wait another month for the alpha release.

Most of our windows will be models anyway, won't they?

@Springheel: I was suggesting that we issue the next alpha release right now instead of in a month, but warn mappers that window textures will be moved in about a month.

As for lit vs. unlit, the point is that there may be better ways of doing things than having textures be automatically lit by an additive pass, and I'd like to have the chance to try out various effects and see how they look, only starting to populate the windows folder once I've decided on a good way.

I was suggesting that we issue the next alpha release right now instead of in a month, but warn mappers that window textures will be moved in about a month.

I guess my question is, why do they have to be moved? Can't we just make the folder structure now, and then if you want to improve windows later you can just put them in the same folders?

there may be better ways of doing things than having textures be automatically lit by an additive pass

Not sure what you mean here. By lit windows, I just mean the ones with a yellow colour. Unlit are the ones that are grey or bluish, for inside.

The windows like that are already made and look good so far in current maps. There might be fancier ways of making them that produce better results, but that doesn't mean we have to delete the ones that already exist does it?

@PinkDot: Are you sure you're not thinking of the source images? I've only changed the materials, so the organization appears different to mappers. I plan on grandfathering the source images, moving them for a texture if/when I fix something related to it. Much later on after most of the broken textures have been fixed, I'll go look through the texture directory to see what still needs to be moved.

The changes I made should be on CVS; I know at least Sneaksie Dave can see them.

No worries. :) BTW, today or tomorrow I need to get around to making an announcement of how I'd like new textures or modifications to them to be submitted. In summary, I'd like it if you could package up all the necessary files into a PK4, and then tell me where the pk4 is so I can check it over and add it to the repository myself.

Strange. Am I missing some logmessages?

The logmessages don't seem to be working again. I've uploaded dozens of files in the last week or so, and other people have uploaded things, but you're the only person who I've seen email confirmations from.

edit: wow, that was fast...a minute after posting that I added something to CVS and got an email confirmation. Did you fix it or was it just a fluke? :)

edit: wow, that was fast...a minute after posting that I added something to CVS and got an email confirmation. Did you fix it or was it just a fluke? :)

I fixed it. What I don't understand though, is why it was gone again. :blink: Also strangley the permissions on the files that control that were suddenly changed. Don't know why though. I doubt that gleefull would try to attck my server, as he suddenly was the owner of that file, while he shouldn't. :)

Gerhard