The Dark Mod Forums

Are Skins Configured Correctly?

SneaksieDave

Something doesn't seem to be working right, according to the steps laid out and results obtained in this thread. I open the skins editor, and I see things like 'blue_book' and 'blank parchment', but in the /Skins folder. When I click one of those items, I get no picture, and there is nothing which fills the /Matching Skins folder.

However, I can set skin on a model by using the 'skin' parameter. Are the skins possibly not configured correctly to be read by D3Ed? Or am I doing something wrong?

I noticed that some of the skins were broken during the last renaming of materials. I fixed a few but only the ones I happened to notice while playing around. There are probably others.

The problem was that there was a hard return placed between the original skin and it's replacement:

Original:

tdm_book1 tdm_book2
(replaces skin/material 'tdm_book1' with tdm_book2')

After renaming:

tdm_book1

tdm_book2

(This will cause the skin not to work)

If you open up the .skin file and put the two entries on the same line it should work.

edit: Hmm, it's possible everything I just said was wrong. :) I was pretty sure that's what I did to fix some of the skins that weren't working, but when I look, they're virtually all on separate lines like that, and I was able to use them without problem.

Is that right? Let me check some more items.

Edit: I think you're right, I'm getting really, really fucked up behavior from D3Ed. More bugs?

I create a book, change the skin, everything's working. I drag a new brush, New Model... it, select the scroll, and the origin is waaaay off center, like 10 scale feet away. Then, I can't select it - because the origin isn't part of the model. So I select the book - and in render mode it turns into the scroll. Cam mode, book, render mode, scroll. Could D3Ed have more problems?

Ha! And here's an image just to prove I'm not losing my mind, and that my feud with D3Ed is real and never ending.

1. At top, is cam mode. Note the scene is made up of one book, and one scroll.

2. Next, in the middle, is render mode. Nothing is selected. Note that suddenly, they are both scrolls, even though the grid on the left clearly shows the one is in fact, still a book.

3. And finally, shot three at the bottom. I've now selected the book, and suddenly, in render mode, that item is both a book, AND a scroll at the same time. I'm sure that violates some quantum physical law in some way or another.

With how FM authors greet DromEd's quirkiness with affection, they'll want to marry DoomEd.

post-58-1150592998_thumb.jpg

Ok, tell me exactly what you're trying to do and I'll see if I can help. I think all the skins thus far are mine.

Unfortunately I updated CVS and now I can't open the editor to test anything, but I might be able to help remotely. :)

They (the ones I've checked) actually seem okay, even with the extra carriage return in the skin file. It was a combination of me not understanding how to get the selected item's skins to show up (trying various things cleared that up) and DoomEd acting poorly. A restart cleared up the problems in the screenshot.

I still don't understand what exactly happened in the shots, with the waaay off origins and double-identity item, but my guess is that somehow a scroll skin got applied to the book (?!)