The Dark Mod Forums

Great Images Of Old Stuff And Paintings....museum

AluminumHaste

Yeah, Thief III has some of the best concept art ever in a game, it looks sooo good. :)

As far as translating that into 3D, even with all the PC hardware we have now, there are still some pretty tough limits on how good you can make things look and not slow even fast systems to a crawl. Games themselves never look as good as the concept art, especially concept art this excellent. The artist doesn't have the artificial constraints that 3D hardware imposes. He can depict the places and characters as they truly are, without worrying about polygon counts and such. But it's great to look at such wonderful Thief art, and it gives us an ideal of appearance to shoot for as faster PC's become available and we're able to get closer to what the art looks like. :) Video cards like the new GeForce 8800 GTX will help in this area. :)

Bioshock looks quite like concept art imho. It does look astounding from that voiceover video, like taking a render, or a painting, and making a game out of it.

Can't wait for that to be standard. TDM, or at least my maps, don't look that good, they look obviously like a game.

Although good architecture design and textures make up for graphics, like Thief Gold.

I went to a talk where one of the artist guys from Bioshock demonstrated his workflow when creating a model (it was the flying security bot thing that looks like an art deco motorboat engine - in fact such an engine was their inspiration for its look :laugh: ). It was insanely complicated. He didn't have just the ordinary diffuse, normal, and specular maps - I forget what they all were, but there were about 4-6 altogether, including a baked shadow map. The end result looked phenomenal.

So yeah, the artists working on Bioshock are amazingly talented. Their setting helps a lot too - art deco in a partially-flooded undersea world. Genius.

They're not going for a realist look at all, which I think is one of their strengths. It really does look like it stepped straight out of a painting - rich saturated colours, patterns of light shining through the water onto the walls... very unreal, very cool.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 2 weeks later...
I went to a talk where one of the artist guys from Bioshock demonstrated his workflow when creating a model (it was the flying security bot thing that looks like an art deco motorboat engine - in fact such an engine was their inspiration for its look :laugh: ). It was insanely complicated. He didn't have just the ordinary diffuse, normal, and specular maps - I forget what they all were, but there were about 4-6 altogether, including a baked shadow map. The end result looked phenomenal.

So yeah, the artists working on Bioshock are amazingly talented. Their setting helps a lot too - art deco in a partially-flooded undersea world. Genius.

They're not going for a realist look at all, which I think is one of their strengths. It really does look like it stepped straight out of a painting - rich saturated colours, patterns of light shining through the water onto the walls... very unreal, very cool.

Yeah I can't wait, I love art-deco in games. It looks great.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.