The Dark Mod Forums

Wtf? Grey Border Around Transparencies

Springheel

I've spent an hour trying to do something that has been absolutely effortless in the past. I was trying to separate the parchment on the objectives.gui into a separate image, so I could apply the swirling background texture to it. For some reason, however, I can't seem to apply any graphic to the gui without a pale grey border appearing around it. :angry:

I've had no trouble adding graphics with transparencies before while working on the failure and success screens, so I can't figure out what's going on. Even a simple black box gives me a grey border.

post-9-1165175134_thumb.jpg

It's just a .tga with a black square on a transparent background. It has the grey border if I point directly to it, or if I use the following material:

guis/assets/objectives/parchment

{

translucent

{

blend blend

map guis/assets/objectives/parchment

}

}

After some more experimenting, I found that it only seems to put the grey border around it if it is a very dark colour. When I tried a blue square, the border wasn't there. I don't understand why that would be, but I've been able to get what I needed working.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, this is back to being a major pain in the ass again.

I'm trying to get our healthbar working, but I keep getting a 1px grey border around the graphics again.

All I'm doing is trying to add a graphic:

windowDef HealthBar

{

rect 286,469,107,15

matcolor 1, 1, 1, 1

background "guis/assets/hud/healthbar_metal2"

}

Nothing fancy, but for some reason I'm getting that stupid border again and I can't get rid of it. Making the image light coloured isn't an option this time.

The bar above the lightgem is what the PS image looks like, and the bar below is what it looks like in game. It's small, so you have to look closely, but there's clearly a grey line around the bars and it looks like crap.

post-9-1167611106_thumb.jpg

If I had to make an uninformed guess I'd say that OpenGL is blending in pixels from "off the edge" of the image, which for some reason happens to be grey (or maybe white). This can be a tricky problem.

Is it possible to tell the GUI to only use part of a texture? If so, you could try adding a border of transparent pixels to the image, and then tell the GUI to only use the non-border part of the image (if that makes any sense).

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

What's strange is that I use exactly the same procedure to make all my images, and this happens to some of them and not others.

Why doesn't the lightgem have such a border around it? The two images seem exactly the same when loaded in PS. Frustrating.... :angry:

I've got a few ideas to try, but don't have time tonight, unfortunately.

Good call SZ. The lightgem texture has power-of-two sizes, while the health bar textures don't. There's your problem Spring. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

:huh: No, that's not it.

Oh, are you talking about the images on CVS? They're very old, and aren't the ones we're actually using. The images I'm working with are all done in powers of 2. If you don't use powers of 2 you'll get a blurry image, but I've never heard of getting a grey border.

Oh, are you talking about the images on CVS? They're very old, and aren't the ones we're actually using.

Ah. I thought they looked different. :) Nevermind then.

I've posted on D3W about this, because I've tried everything I can think of and nothing fixes it. :angry:

• 5 months later...

Well, that will teach me. I found a bit of a solution to the problem back then, but only posted the solution on the Recall to Hell forum, in an attempt to share. Now I have the same problem with the parchment guis and can't remember what the hell I did, and the RtH 'sharing' forum is gone. <_<

Yep. I've become a total wiki convert recently. :)

In the meantime, I have to figure out how to solve this problem, yet again.