The Dark Mod Forums

Ascottk's Animation Reference Files

ascottk

Well when I originally animated the search movement cycle, I didn't know about the origin bone, or that is has to move with the hips so that Doom 3 knows where the center of the model is supposed to be. So in my current animation, the origin bone gets left behind. It starts between the center of the feet, but by the end of the anim, the origin is some distance behind the character.

On oDDity's rig, the hips are not a child of the origin bone. Which means I can move the origin independant of the rest of the model. So I can move it back to the center of the feet at the end of the animation, without moving the rest of the model.

(this is oddity's heirachy)

post-10-1168786180_thumb.jpg

On the new rig, the hips ARE a child of origin, so if I move origin, the rest of the model moves, which means somehow I have to re-do all the keyframes so that they're relative to the origin bone. (Fucking hell...)

(this is the heirachy in the new rig)

post-10-1168786073_thumb.jpg

But I looked at this heirachy (provided by Recall To Hell) that Doom 3 supposedly expects, and it shows the hips aren't a child of origin.

post-10-1168786055_thumb.jpg

I'm just going to try exporting the anim from oDDity's rig, and if it works (after I move the origin), then maybe it means the hips can be unparented from origin in the new rig? I can try this myself because I can edit the heirachy in motion builder.

...that heirachy change won't affect the other animations will it? I don't think it will because they were animated "walking on the spot", which means relative to the point of reference, which means changing the heirachy of the origin bone shouldn't matter... I'll re-do the search movement cycle if I have to, but it looks like the heirachy should be set up like this anyway, according to the diagram.

...it may just be better to re-do the search anim... I'll try some things...

On the new rig, the hips ARE a child of origin, so if I move origin, the rest of the model moves, which means somehow I have to re-do all the keyframes so that they're relative to the origin bone. (Fucking hell...)

(this is the heirachy in the new rig)

I adjusted the feet (try to keep them stationary while the rest of the body moves) according to the origin's movement.

But I looked at this heirachy (provided by Recall To Hell) that Doom 3 supposedly expects, and it shows the hips aren't a child of origin.
Don't you mean the fbik "character" (humanIK, fbik controllers?)? I parented the fbik to the origin for a reason:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...ost&p=94761

I'm just going to try exporting the anim from oDDity's rig, and if it works (after I move the origin), then maybe it means the hips can be unparented from origin in the new rig? I can try this myself because I can edit the heirachy in motion builder.

...that heirachy change won't affect the other animations will it? I don't think it will because they were animated "walking on the spot", which means relative to the point of reference, which means changing the heirachy of the origin bone shouldn't matter... I'll re-do the search movement cycle if I have to, but it looks like the heirachy should be set up like this anyway, according to the diagram.

...it may just be better to re-do the search anim... I'll try some things...

If the fbik is unparented from the origin then the whole body will not move if you need AI to move in a walk cycle. They'll walk in place if the origin doesn't move.

Stationary animations won't be affected if you want stationary animations (idling, sitting, etc.).

What I did in maya, is delete all the keyframes relating to the hips, then moving the origin along the x axis (if you're going forwards or backwards, z axis if you are going sideways).

Yeah but the effectors for the hands and feet still move forward in world space, so even if I make the hips stay still, his arms and legs try to leave his body behind and he does a thunderbirds walk thing...

It's cool, I think I can fix it by going to each key frame for each effector and subtracting the amount moved forward by the origin. So I should be left with just the relative movment.

(Fucking hell.)

When I go "plot to skeleton" in MotionBuilder, I notice the Pauldrons seem to have a life of their own. I'm not quite sure what's going on, its as if they can't wait to get where the body is going, and go off ahead and get there early.

Is this showing up in the game now that you've got the search animation in there? (I'm still updating)

When I go "plot to skeleton" in MotionBuilder, I notice the Pauldrons seem to have a life of their own. I'm not quite sure what's going on, its as if they can't wait to get where the body is going, and go off ahead and get there early.

Is this showing up in the game now that you've got the search animation in there? (I'm still updating)

I noticed :( Maybe the fk is fighting with the ik, since fk is direct manipulation of the joints :wacko:

• 1 month later...

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/models/In...nimRef_idle.rar

Okay I updated the floor contacts to fit the foot more snugly - notice I put it in a folder called "ToUpdate" because its just temporary... it's best if ascottk makes the official changes to the originals and just makes one file to download, and updates his first post up there, and merges in the extra city watch update too.

Might want to check that my .fbx there is the latest one too...

Argh, we really need version control for source files too...