The Dark Mod Forums

Converting Lwo Files To .ase

New Horizon

Having some troubles here. I can't find the exporter file to save an altered lwo file as a .ase file.

Anyone know where to get this plugin script?

It's on the FTP. I think Jay uploaded it andhe also wrote a post about it. Don't know where it is right now. But it's definitely there.

I think that importing LWO into Blender may not be so good though. When I looked into Oddities LWO File it also looked quite strange. Similar to oofnish model. So it may well be that the importer is screwed up but it doesn't recognize an error.

Gerhard

I provided ase files of the lightgem anyway. If you're exporting from LW, export as an obj. Almost all apps can import obj files. Deep Exploration is also a very handy program to have, it converts between 30 or so 3d formats, and yu can view the models also. There's a free trial you can D/L from www.righthemisphere.com.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I provided ase files of the lightgem anyway. If you're exporting from LW, export as an obj. Almost all apps can import obj files. Deep Exploration is also a very handy program to have, it converts between 30 or so 3d formats, and yu can view the models also. There's a free trial you can D/L from www.righthemisphere.com.

Blender can import obj files. But it can't import ASE files. :( I'm not sure what the various files support though. But I think for simple meshes and UV mapping, the fileformats should all support this.

Gerhard

If you're using blender...

clicky

The tutorial links to the export script via my web space - so you don't have to bother logging on to the ftp server to download - but I also put the script in the blender folder on our ftp server if you prefer :)

Unfortunately none of the 3D apps import .ase files. Not even 3D Studio Max, and it's their file format! when it comes to sharing files between 3D apps the .obj and .3ds formats are both pretty reliable.

Edited by jay pettitt

Unfortunately none of the 3D apps import .ase files. Not even 3D Studio Max, and it's their file format! when it comes to sharing files between 3D apps the .obj and .3ds formats are both pretty reliable.

As long that the fileformat is understood by all our apps AND it can transport all the information that we will need, I don't care which one we should use. The only problem I see is if a fileformat doesn't support some specific things that may be supported by others.

Gerhard