The Dark Mod Forums

Total War Kingdoms

Macsen

It's not often that I get to do any video game journalism for my magazine, but this game was the perfect excuse. :)

Here's a word-by-word translation of my article. Note that this magazine is mostly read by Welsh speakers who like history, but don't play computer games!

Soon there will be an oppertunity to change the course of Welsh history with the release of a game which re-creates the war of Llywelyn our last Prince against the English.

The large company Sega has announced that part of its next game in the world-famous series Total War will be set during the rebellion of the Welsh Princes.

The game will being in 1258, the year when Llywelyn ap Gruffudd announced that he was the leader of Wales, and it will even contain some Welsh.

The last game involved England and Scotland, but Wales was not available.

"It wasn't people on the team in the UK who had asked to be able to control the army of Wales, but people in our office down in Australia," said Mark Sutherns from Creative Assembly.

"There are two or three Welsh people working there and they wanted the ability to play as Wales in the next game.

"The team has been developing the game for two years now and a lot of research has happened in that time.

"We don't need to consult with historians usually because we employ people who already take an interest in the history of the period.

"Despite that we often ask for advice from experts about the battles of the Middle Adges."

Y game will allow the player to control 22 different types of warriors on the battlefield, including raiders from Gwent and horsemen from Mathrafal.

Many of the names in the game will be in Welsh, including Rhyfelwyr instead of Warriors, Saethwyr instead of Archers, and Magnelwyr instead of Artillerymen.

Mark Sutherns admits that Wales will be at a disadvantage at the start of the game, but that's because of historical reality.

"Even thought Wales are quite weak they have the ability to call upon a number of supporters to join with the cause, faster than the other countries.

"Llywelyn managed to get the whole country behind him, unlike England, so hopefully the balance will be correct.

"The Welsh were famous at the time for their archery skills, and they will have the best archers in the game. Their main disadvantage will be their light armour which makes illing them easier.

"The Welsh will have to use clever strategies to counter the armoured juggernaut of England."

Like in the other Total War games the player will have to use diplomacy and even strategic marrying, as well as war.

But the game will not force the player to conform with history. It gives Llywelyn the chance to defeat the English in Wales or even conquer the entire island... and avoid a visit to Cilmeri.

"The Welsh can conquer land beyond the boundaries of their country and claim England, Scotland, Irealnd and the land of the Vikings for themselves," said Mark Sutherns.

"We have made sure the game is historically accurate, but not so historical that it will restrict what the player can do. It's more fun if the player can go against the tide of history.

"The game gives the player a chance to ask some of those 'what if?' questions that are so apparent in Welsh history.

"For instance, what if Llywelyn hadn't taken sides with the rebellious nobleman Simon de Montfort, and by doing that anger the King of England? The player will eb able to decide whether to do that or not.

"It's a magical time in the history of the country."

That's awesome :D I work right next to their office some nights, I have an evening job in the same building as them. The Australian team that is. And I sat in on their lecture on how they made Medieval Total War 2 at the game conference here, lots of interesting techniques they used and problems they over came.

I've always loved the Total War series ever since the days of Shogun. Medieval II is the best offering yet though; the raw power of 120 fully-plated knights charging down a bunch of saracens is awesome! Its the best RTS on the market today IMO.

Screw the Welsh though :P I'm going back to my roots in Prussia and am gonna knock the crap out of a bunch of pagans. Nothing compares to the germanic might of the Teutons! :laugh: I reckon after I'm done with them I'll play the Welsh; the value of longbow archers cannot be underestimated.

Actually I'd be more likely to be on the Viking or the Norman side back then. My mother's from Sheffield and I'm descended from the 1st Marquess of Crewe on my Father's side. Also I'm tall and light while the Welsh tend to be shorter and darker.

• 3 months later...