The Dark Mod Forums

A couple of watery sounds

SneaksieDave

Greebo's new water had me wanting to get something - anything - to replace that damned hell sound we currently use for water, so I looked around a bit. Checked that freesound site, but there wasn't much up to par there. What I did find was this:

http://unesco.uiah.fi/ydc-book/cdrom/sampl.../underwater.wav

The ability to use it is unclear. It's from this, so it's a free CDROM with a book, but it says they are free samples, and they're clearly up for free download (even if I did use a backdoor to get to them). So who knows. That sound is good though, and with some proper chopping up to loop nicely, and perhaps some processing to erm, disguise it some, maybe it could be our underwater sound?

Oh and this one, which is from freesound so it IS available, I think would make a nice creepy "wind chimes a la Thief" type of ambient, perhaps for around or under water, or anywhere really.

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=22999

I'm not sure what sound dept we have remaining at this point, so this post is as much a self reminder as it is for anyone else willing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, they don't stipulate any sort of license for the "UNESCO Library", they say they're for use in creative projects, and the files are right on the site for the plucking, so I'm assuming fair use rationale here.

There are some issues with the right channel, in my opinion, so I cut it, leaving only the left channel in mono. There's a raw loop and a processed loop, but the raw seems to loop more gracefully. There's a slight rise at the high end that makes looping such a short segment difficult, but it "works".

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Sounds/am...bbling_loop.ogg

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Sounds/am...ng_raw_loop.ogg

I have a good sample from my Sony library that'd be more usable, I think, but I need to check on possible usage restrictions there.

Shiny! Your fair use rationale sounds good enough to me. :)

Are you going to get the mod installed and set up, phide? Then you'd be able to test the sounds out in-game and take a first-hand look at what we have already.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd commit to SVN, but I can't access the tutorials (Wiki's still down), and I don't want to botch the repository. I'll try and post the code for the shader by today's end assuming I get a chance to leave work (been here 10 hours now :o )

I've been considering actually doing a 5.1 mix of another set of underwater recordings I have, but its implementation is dependent on the kind of voice counts we end up running into, as it'd eat up 6 voices alone (but would be sort of interesting), so that should come later, if ever.

Although the sound engine is fairly constricting and unfriendly, its ability to handle specific channel mapping across all hardware is a useful out-of-the-box feature, so I think we should try and exploit it as often as possible.

I'd commit to SVN, but I can't access the tutorials (Wiki's still down), and I don't want to botch the repository.

Being cautious is fair enough, but I don't think you need to worry. It's very hard (actually impossible, in theory) to botch the repository from the client end; it would be a security risk otherwise. :) Screwing up your own working copy is quite doable if you poke around too much, and that can be annoying; but everything in the repository is versioned, so it's easy for anyone who knows how to reverse a bodged commit. And as long as you're just doing simple updates and commits, your SVN client will take care of everything for you.

If you're using TortoiseSVN, right-click on the darkmod folder, choose Commit, and untick anything you don't want to upload. If you don't know what it is, you probably don't want to upload it. But it doesn't matter if you make a mistake here, because as I said it's easy for someone else to fix.

There's a manual here BTW. Worth a read if you can spare the time.

I'll try and post the code for the shader by today's end assuming I get a chance to leave work (been here 10 hours now :o )

:wacko: I hope you're getting paid mucho overtime.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Unfortunately overtime isn't a known concept in my current line of work.

Committed the file and the updated shader the other day. 4203, if I recall.

5.1 mix in progress, as I don't think voice counts are going to be an issue. Also going to take a looksee at the EFXs and see if I can't figure out some means to do lowpass with EAX while the player is underwater.