The Dark Mod Forums

Putting the Doxygen documentation online

I've been fixing up and improving some of the Doxygen information in the codebase, because it really does help to have some nicely-formatted (if incomplete) documentation available to look at, and I was thinking it would be quite cool to have the Doxygen documentation online, linked to from the DarkRadiant website at Sourcforge.

This could of course be achieved simply by uploading the generated HTML documentation into the project's webspace, but this would be a manual process and would need to be done very often to keep the documentation up-to-date. What would be very convenient is to have Doxygen run automatically on the server after every commit, so that the online documentation would always be current.

The pre-requisites for this would be:

1. Doxygen command-line tool available on the SourceForge web server (no idea whether this is the case or not).

2. A server-side script which can detect SVN commits (theoretically possible I guess, but I have no idea how to set it up).

3. The ability to have Doxygen run on the SVN codebase, either directly (not sure if possible) or by copying the source tree down to a local path.

4. A link on the DarkRadiant website to a fixed location in the web space which is used as the destination for Doxygen output.

Greebo -- you know more about web development and the SourceForge page than I do, does any of this sound remotely possible or is it just wishful thinking?

The pre-requisites for this would be:

1. Doxygen command-line tool available on the SourceForge web server (no idea whether this is the case or not).

2. A server-side script which can detect SVN commits (theoretically possible I guess, but I have no idea how to set it up).

3. The ability to have Doxygen run on the SVN codebase, either directly (not sure if possible) or by copying the source tree down to a local path.

4. A link on the DarkRadiant website to a fixed location in the web space which is used as the destination for Doxygen output.

Greebo -- you know more about web development and the SourceForge page than I do, does any of this sound remotely possible or is it just wishful thinking?

I googled and searched around a bit, but it doesn't look like doxygen is available directly on sourceforge. I could not find any information about cron-jobs or commit-hooks neither, so I guess we're out of luck here.

I can generate the info locally and upload the documentation on a weekly basis, if that helps.

GtkRadiant had the documentation within the repository, I guess that's not something we want to have?

I googled and searched around a bit, but it doesn't look like doxygen is available directly on sourceforge. I could not find any information about cron-jobs or commit-hooks neither, so I guess we're out of luck here.

Ah well, I suspected this might be the case. I guess the free web server they offer is expected to be fairly limited.

I can generate the info locally and upload the documentation on a weekly basis, if that helps.

If we just had a link to a location in the webspace and one of us uploaded a ZIP and extracted it into the right location on a regular basis, this would be acceptable. The documentation would not be that up-to-date, but it's better than nothing.

GtkRadiant had the documentation within the repository, I guess that's not something we want to have?

Currently my dox folder is 47M including many inheritance and collaboration graphs, so this would not be manageable.

Ah, I think I found it. When logging in via SSH, the welcome message provides a link to some information.

We have cronjobs and we have doxygen on the server.

How resource-intensive is the doxygen execution? Projects are discouraged to schedule resource-intensive tasks on the servers.

How resource-intensive is the doxygen execution? Projects are discouraged to schedule resource-intensive tasks on the servers.

It will be CPU-intensive while running, but it doesn't run for very long. It only takes a few seconds on my machine since it uses incremental updating of some kind.

A good way to do it would be to run it on every commit unless the previous commit was less than an hour ago, in which case it will wait until one hour after the previous commit before running again.

A good way to do it would be to run it on every commit unless the previous commit was less than an hour ago, in which case it will wait until one hour after the previous commit before running again.

We're not allowed to use custom hook-scripts it seems:

Hook Scripts

SVN is capable of running server-side scripts during the various stages of a SVN commit operation. These hook scripts are very powerful, but due to the implementation of hook scripts in SVN, projects are not permitted full control over them. This is quite a large change from how CVS handles pre- and post- commit scripts. Accordingly, SourceForge.net makes available to projects specific scripts which may be of use to hosted projects. The following scripts are available for your use:

* svnnotify: Sends email notifications of changes made during a SVN commit. Two versions of this hook script are available, one that includes a diff of the changes, and one that doesn't.

* check-case-insensitive.py: Checks to make sure filenames are valid for a case insensitive environment (Windows, for example)

* check-mime-type.pl: Checks to ensure a mime-type property is set for files added to the repository

* ciabot_svn.py: Reports commit activity to cia.navi.cx.

I guess we need to stick to cronjobs that run every 24 hours or so.