The Dark Mod Forums

Need slow match model please

Fidcal

Can someone make me a small slow match model please? It's basically a length of nitrated cord much like a fuse or wick. It was commony held for safety on a linstock - a rod with a fork or grip to hold the cord. I'd settle for the bare match, eg a small coil of cord with its end extending out say 8 or 9 inches - but the whole linstock thing would be nice. See the top item in the picture below. The one below that is a hot wire normally kept in a fire and the others are incence sticks. I'd even accept just a simple incense stick for this purpose.

Ideally I see it as maybe 15 inches long? If it can be made dark and dirty with a tiny bright glowing end that would be good. Also, make the origin right at the end where it is lit. I think when I add a fire stim then its radius is defined from there.

One more thing, it is essential that it has a collision model.

post-400-1244823222_thumb.jpg

Now made a simple slow match. This is essentially a fine nitrate-soaked splint that burns real slow without a visible flame. It's a player tool. The thief keeps an unlit one in his inventory and if needed then one can imagine he lights it from the player lantern.

I'll keep this map-specific for now but if there is sufficient interest I'll commit it.

Interestingly, while researching this, I found that when the modern striking match was invented, the British match made (and still does) a loud snap or cracking sound as it ignites but elsewhere on the continent etc. a slightly different composition was used that did not and these were known as 'thieves matches'. Not many people know that. ;)

post-400-1244899174_thumb.jpg post-400-1244899183_thumb.jpg post-400-1244899192_thumb.jpg post-400-1244899200_thumb.jpg

Awesome!

We've talked in the past about having a generic "tinder box" inventory item that we would select in the inventory and hit "use" on while frobbing items that can be lit. I think there was general agreement that we should have that.

Now that we've got this match, that's even better. We could set it up so that when you hit "use" on it in the inventory, it's placed in the hands while lit. How does it work right now, do you hit drop to drop it to the hands? That's okay, but it would be more intuitive if we could script the inventory use button to do that also.

Obnoxious question: What happens if the player takes it out while lit and dunks it in water? Does the flame go out? If the flame goes out, what happens if they put it back in their inventory and then take it out again? I would suggest that the flame should light every time it comes out of the inventory into their hands. That would work best for gameplay imo.

[EDIT: Now that I look at the pictures, are we pretending it's unlit until it touches a candle? Is that red stuff a chemical on the head or a lit ember glow on the match? It might be nice to use a small flame particle so it's un-ambiguous.]

At the moment yes, it uses the drop control to put it in the grabber. I've an idea I saw a spawnarg on the wiki that enables the use key instead but I'm not sure.

The end is a red glow even in the dark. There is no doubt in use that it is glowing and not just a chemical. I never thought of it being dropped in water. It might be regarded as waterproof. There are chemicals that keep on burning even if put in water.

Anything more advanced like a flame or smoke on the end needs that bind/inventory fix we were talking about in the other thread. If I add a flame or smoke then at present it would be left behind in the grabber when the match is put away in the inventory. If that is fixed I could do a tiny smouldering glow flicker and smoke. That would extinguish in water. It is not meant to be a full flame. These slow matches were commonly used to fire cannon or firearms and just kept glowing for an hour or more. If it were a full flame it would be more of a taper.

This match is a simple brush with a custom texture plus a firestim at the origin end.

Okay, understood. I'll post in the other thread about the grabber/inventory issue.

The end is a red glow even in the dark. There is no doubt in use that it is glowing and not just a chemical. I never thought of it being dropped in water. It might be regarded as waterproof. There are chemicals that keep on burning even if put in water.

That makes sense, and technically it could be chemical and burn underwater. But there is one issue if the match is emitting a flame stim even underwater: What if another candle is underwater and you keep holding the match against it? With the current code, the candle doesn't first check to see if it's underwater before lighting, it lights, then a moment later the water stim from the water would put it out again. So you'd keep seeing a candle flame flickering and going out over and over. This is probably not a major issue though, we can live with it for now.