Photo

Winsock error in Win 7 Pro Email only - SOLVED!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16705 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:06 AM

Just setting up my new Win 7 pro PC. I have internet connection okay (using it here!) Problem is, I just installed my Courier Email program - correctly gave it permission to access the net through my firewall - but checking for email just gets a winsock error:

WINSOCK Error: Connection refused. (The requested mail service is not running on the designated server. Verify the server name or contact your System Administrator).
Connection to socket failed

Now, I know the mail service IS running on the server because I just used this exact same program and mailbox on my Win XP PC minutes before. I simply checked my email as normal on that machine, received email okay, saved the mailbox, copied it over to this new pc via a flash drive - but get this stupid error when I try to get email with the exact same email program and config.

Google didn't help. Any ideas anyone?

#2 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20281 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:14 AM

Check the port you have unblocked on the router and check TCP/UDP is allowed, or failing that all protocals are allowed for that port.

• Petike the Taffer likes this

#3 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16705 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

Is that in the router, the email program, or in a Windows setting?

I just successfully SENT a test message but cannot receive.

In the email program it has Port 25 for the incoming mail. Can't see anything about TCP though.

#4 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16705 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:54 PM

SOLVED! 

The problem was caused by McAfee Anti-virus bloatware that was pre-installed on this new pc. I uninstalled it and voila! - my email is working!

It's true what they say - many anti-virus programs are worse than viruses! There was no message or anything from McAfee - they just blocked me from receiving email silently behind my back.

Anyway, I'm dead chuff now it's solved! :D

#5 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20281 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:19 AM

My previous post was refering to the firewall setting/s in your router.

Ah yes good old McaFee, In 15+ years as a computer engineer I can honestly say nothing good about any version of McaFee's AV suite. I'm guessing the Firewall function of  AV or Security suite was blocking incoming comms on the aformentioned port.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users