• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SilentKlD

SilentKlD

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:19 AM

Good day Dark mod team,

There has been a persistent issue I've been having while playing a variety of different campaigns: maps. Whenever you have 4+ pieces of map, and you have to press map button multiple times to get the one you need within a short time interval, it becomes really grating on me.

I'm not sure how the game is designed, but I have a basic idea to resolve this issue.

Create a rectangular object like Map1_location, which would cover a specific section of the map (e.g. first/second floor of the manor, outside, overall). Whenever player presses Map button, game checks in which location object the player is and shows a proper map, instead of scrolling through each map every time.

If there are maps you can get mid level (WS2 for example), and you don't current'y possess the map of your location, pressing M would either display overall map (if exists), or static image "no map of the current location".

The idea and implementation might vary, but I really think something needs to be done about the multi-map for better player experience.

#2 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5565 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:57 AM

There is a location system that can be used for such a purpose. I've used it for my automap script. It is however a per mission implementation thing, so mappers would have to actively add it to their mission.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#3 wesp5

wesp5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

Speaking of maps, can we add that these can be put away with the Frob key too, like we can with the readables in the world?

#4 SilentKlD

SilentKlD

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:33 PM

Is there a way to at least prompt to use this system? Maybe mappers are simply not aware of that feature.

#5 SuaveSteve

SuaveSteve

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

Speaking of maps, can we add that these can be put away with the Frob key too, like we can with the readables in the world?

As I've suggested in the past, pressing Esc should dismiss everything before showing the Menu.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suggestion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users