The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 1.0.1 released

greebo

A critical bug made it into DarkRadiant 1.0.0 causing crashes when cloning patches. This issue, as long with two other minor glitches, has been resolved. Grab the new version from our website:

http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net/

Important: be sure to install the VC++ 2008 Redistributable Package in order to run this release.

The list of changes can be found on the website: Changes since 1.0.0 and on our bugtracker changelog.

As usual, please report any bugs or feature requests here in these forums, following these guidelines:

• Bugs (including steps for reproduction) can go directly on the tracker. When unsure about a bug/issue, feel free to ask.
  • Feature requests should be suggested (and possibly discussed) here in these forums before they may be added to the tracker.

Happy editing!

I have downloaded this version and WC++2008, installed both, everything was OK. But after clicking on Dark radiant.exe nothing happens. I´ve  running process called DarkRadiant. If I try run it one more time, there is one more process called DarkRadiant and so on.. Do you know what to do?

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

Which package have you been downloading?

The previous DarkRadiant 1.0.0 worked?

Ihave been downloading version 1.0.1.. I have tried also version 1.0.0, the same problem..

The same problem with zipped file. I´m using Windows (32-bit) Vista Home Premium, with service pack 1..

The fact that all types of packages (1.0.0 and 1.0.1, zipped vs. exe) are affected, points to some problem with your environment. You're saying you get a process called DarkRadiant.exe in the task monitor? How much ram is allocated to that and does it do anything at all?

Yes, I have a process called DarkRadiant.exe in the task monitor, its using about 50 CPU and 1 872 kB of memory. It was installed to c:\Program Files\DarkRadiant. The DarkMod is in c:\Program Files\DOOM 3\darkmod\ and is running properly. Isnt there problem with location of the folders? I have read the quick installation guide on the wiki, it seem that I have done everything properly..

So it's hanging with 2 MB of memory usage? That must be pretty early in the startup code, maybe GTK is not properly functioning on your end?

Is there a DarkRadiant.log file in C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\DarkRadiant?

Greebo, are you sure the patch cloning bug is resolved? To test, I started an empty map, made a 15x15 patch, move a bunch of the vertices and cloned it. It crashed.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure I fixed that bug. Unless there is a second bug in there.

edit: works fine here, I now have a map with 783 patches (15x15).

What exactly did you do? Can somebody else confirm the crash (or confirm that it's gone)?

I basically made the 15x15, selected about half the middle verticies, dragged them up sharply, and cloned them.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

You can't clone the patch while in vertex selection mode, can you? I just tried again:

- Shift-P, create patch 15x15

- Zoom in, hit V for vertex mode, drag-select a bunch of vertices in the middle.

- Nudge them upwards, so that the patch has a huge bump in the middle.

- Hit ESC twice, once for de-selecting the vertices, one for switching back to primitive mode.

- Hit Space to clone the patch, several times.

- No crash.

Are you sure we're talking about the same version here?

You can't clone the patch while in vertex selection mode, can you? I just tried again:

- Shift-P, create patch 15x15

- Zoom in, hit V for vertex mode, drag-select a bunch of vertices in the middle.

- Nudge them upwards, so that the patch has a huge bump in the middle.

- Hit ESC twice, once for de-selecting the vertices, one for switching back to primitive mode.

- Hit Space to clone the patch, several times.

- No crash.

Are you sure we're talking about the same version here?

I moved vertecices, hit esc twice, selected the patch again, hit space, boom.

I went to help>about and it says "DarkRadiant 1.0.1 x86" "Build Date: Oct 24 2009 20:32:45"

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

I'm still getting crash-to-desktops when I clone patches (But ONLY when done in this order of events).

1. Create a brush.

2. Ctrl-Shift-LMB to select one face.

3. Brush menu -> Create decal patches (or Patch menu -> Simple patch mesh)

4. Resize the patch.

5. Texture the patch.

6. De-select the decal patch.

7. Re-select the decal patch and hit clone.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I'm still getting crash-to-desktops when I clone patches (But ONLY when done in this order of events).

1. Create a brush.

2. Ctrl-Shift-LMB to select one face.

3. Brush menu -> Create decal patches (or Patch menu -> Simple patch mesh)

4. Resize the patch.

5. Texture the patch.

6. De-select the decal patch.

7. Re-select the decal patch and hit clone.

Did exactly that and no crash - wtf is going on here?

I can be even more exact if you wish.

1. Click QE on the sidebar to get resize mode.

2. Hit "m" to get the media browser

3. Find textures/darkmod/decals/dirt/dripping_slime02 and click it

4. Create a brush by dragging on the orthoview.

5. Esc to deselect.

6. Ctrl-Shift-LMB in the camera to select one face.

7. Brush menu -> Create decal patches (Do not hit ESC yet)

8. Resize the patch by dragging in the orthoview

9. Hit clone.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Crivens! I got two crashes using the x86 build I uploaded to sourceforge, but I couldn't get any debug information from that. In my dev environment the crash is not happening, no matter how many times I went through the procedure above. I also tried hitting "New Map" in between, no luck.

Should I just upload a new compile for you guys to test? Maybe the x86 compile got bogus.

Crivens! I got two crashes using the x86 build I uploaded to sourceforge, but I couldn't get any debug information from that. In my dev environment the crash is not happening, no matter how many times I went through the procedure above. I also tried hitting "New Map" in between, no luck.

Should I just upload a new compile for you guys to test? Maybe the x86 compile got bogus.

Whatever you thinks best programmer man.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

Tried debugging an optimised release? (I mean, set optimisation flags *and* debug flags on, compile, and run the debugger on that build.)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

So it's hanging with 2 MB of memory usage? That must be pretty early in the startup code, maybe GTK is not properly functioning on your end?

Is there a DarkRadiant.log file in C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\DarkRadiant?

No, there is just empty folder called Dark radiant, without anything inside.

Hm so it seems it doesn't even create a log file... this is very early during start up.

// Initialise the debug flags
crt_init();

// Set the stream references for globalOutputStream(), redirect std::cout, etc.
applog::initialiseLogStreams();

// Initialse the context (application path / settings path, is OS-specific)
module::ModuleRegistry::Instance().initialiseContext(argc, argv);

// The settings path is set, start logging now
applog::LogFile::create("darkradiant.log");

... GTK init here ...

Still it seems to create the DarkRadiant folder in your APPDATA at least, and you seem to have write permissions there. My guess is that GTK is failing to start up on your system. I'm not sure I'll be able to help you much here.