The Dark Mod Forums

Trouble whit Objective

Nielsen74

I´m having trouble playing my map while testing it with the the console

This is just a littel mission' date=' but I´m kind of stuk at the moment as when I make the objectivs I can´t test the mission? it dmap´s ok but when I wan´t to play it DarkMod giv´s a error about not finding the map file???[/quote']
Serpentine

you can try using 'devmap <mapname like you gave dmap>' from console, just for super simple testing, it wont help with the objective issue etc.

I would try unpacking one of the released FM's and looking at how things are done there if you cant get things working from the info on the wiki smile.gif

Fidcal

At the console' date=' if you enter dmap and it works then it is accessing the map file so the same should apply to map. What do you see in the console if you enter dmap <tab key> or map <tab key> It should show what maps are in that folder. Is your map in the darkmod\fms folder and you are using tdmlauncher to develop and test? Have you possibly installed another FM since you last dmapped. If so, UNinstall it.

If not, when you get the error, enter condump console.txt then copy and paste here the last dozen lines from that (in the map folder) so we can see the actual error.

Map file might be corrupt I guess. Don't worry, it can likely be sorted out. Have you an earlier save just before you added the objectives?

Looking good anyway.

[/quote']

In Windows Explorer - menu > Tools > Folder options > Hide extensions for known file types: UNcheck it so it shows extensions.

Just rename the extension from zip to pk4 and vice versa. So to make a pk4 you would make a normal zip file (not a rar) and rename its suffix to pk4.

A better way to access pk4s is to associate the file with your zip program. To do this, right click a pk4 in Explorer and select Open With. Select your zip program (might need the browse button) and make sure 'always use this prog' is checked.

All I get is this;

config.spec

DoomConfig

gamex86.dll

startmap (as .PK4)

startmap (as .ZIP)

And when I try to rename the .ZIP to a .map file nothing happens mellow.gif it´s still a .zip file???

Edited by Nielsen74

It's not clear what you mean. The pk4 *is* a zip file. If you 'send it' to your zip program it will ignore it if '.pk4' is not associated with it as described. If however, you associate .pk4 with your zip program then it will open it as a zip file. At this point it is still named pk4. Not sure what you mean by 'unzip' but if you mean extract the files then you extract the files somewhere. They are not a pk4 file - they are the contents of the pk4 file.

If you are confused about this then I suggest you do not associate pk4 with your zip program but stick to renaming the pk4 to zip and back later when needed.

So, you have a pk4 file which is an FM archive, a zip file with a different name. It contains all the files for the FM - map file, aas files, various other files and folders. To open it up just rename it from say, chalice.pk4 to chalice.zip

Now open that zip file in your zip program. Inside you will see all the files inside - the map file, aas files etc etc. You can extract them.

To make a pk4 file you reverse that. Take all your map files and folders necessary to make an FM and zip them up as say name.zip. Take this zip file and rename it to name.pk4.

Study the wiki article for more clarification: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=How_to_pack_your_Mission