The Dark Mod Forums

Downloading Dark Mod

Draigcoch

It seems that every time I go to the ttlg forum there's another Dark Mod mission available. I can only congratulate those authors who have been so industrious. The U-Tube clips make the system look wonderful. If only I could try it myself!

Trouble is my broadband connection only manages a top speed of 0.4 Mb (when it's working that is). My system tell me it will take over 7 hours to download the Dark Mod. The chances of the connection staying up that long are remote.

I'm sure I can't be the only person with this problem! Are there any plans to issue a DVD?

It's possible I could go to an internet cafe in Barnsley (8 miles away) where 8 Mg speeds are available. Trouble is I would need something more user-friendly that the current tdm updater. Could someone write a simple program to make remote downloads easy and straightforward?

Until that time I will just have to look on enviously!

Hard to imagine anything much more user-friendly than the current downloader. Thousands have used it successfully. If you run it as long as you want and disconnect deliberately or accidentally then just run it again next time and it will know exactly where it has got to. It won't download the same ones again (unless you disconnect when it has downloaded 99.9% of a particular file of course.) You can keep doing that and spread it over weeks if you want. OK, so it won't 'resume' a half-downloaded file but it will resume the overall download of the many files and report what it is doing and you can take a copy.

From the download page :

In the first few days and weeks after release, there will be a torrent available for people who prefer not to use the updater or have connection problems.

Get the torrent here: http://www.strangebedfellows.de/torrents/torrents/darkmod.torrent

Choose the download location C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod or ~/.doom3/darkmod in Linux.

After download, make sure you don't have duplicated the folders, like C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\darkmod or something.

You'll find an executable tdmlauncher.exe in your darkmod folder, i.e. C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\tdmlauncher.exe. Use this to start The Dark Mod.

To update TDM to receive future updates, just run the tdm_update.exe application found within the darkmod folder.

So, go grab a torrent client like utorrent and start downloading that - tho it will take a while, it will keep reconnecting and verifying the data with a bad connection, when it completes it will be full and correct :)

Other than that, a few mod sites offer an http/ftp download which you might be able to download with a download manager, but in the end the torrent will be less trouble really!