The Dark Mod Forums

Forje's questions

Forje

Hello all!

I saw a similar thread and thought it wasn't a half bad idea. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I learn to use DR more effectively, so I'll confine as many as I can to this one thread.

First question:

Occasionally when I try to adjust values or otherwise type information into the interface, I get odd characters or mismapped characters. Is there any way to change the keyboard standard in DR to US English keys only?

Occasionally when I try to adjust values or otherwise type information into the interface, I get odd characters or mismapped characters. Is there any way to change the keyboard standard in DR to US English keys only?

Do you normally use a different locale? I haven't checked, but I would assume that it uses whatever locale is requested by the operating system. On Windows you'd change that via the Language Bar.

If that doesn't work, set the environment variable LANG to us_en.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Hah! Figures my first question isn't even a DR problem. No, my locale has always been correctly set in Windows, but it was helpful to check it out anyway. There was an advanced keybinding set: "Switch between input languages" (English, German, French) and, of course, the magic key combo that you use for this is... Shift + Alt rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the help, Crispy.

:laugh: Nice one. Glad you figured it out.
My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 5 weeks later...

Next problem:

I'm trying to make a moveable piece of furniture; it's a dresser that blocks a doorway. I want the player to be able to push it aside in order to open the door.

I've been unable to do this following the instructions on the wiki at this page.

If I try to make it out of a brush, using those directions it seems to look ok in the editor, but when I go to test it in game, the model appears maybe 10 - 15 feet below where it should and in any case is not solid, nor is there an invisible solid blocking the doorway where it is supposed to be.

If I try to make it from a model, it will not load properly. I get an "invalid collision model" error when going to test in game. Using this method, I also have a problem with the "Edit --> Create CollisionModel from selection" part. Firstly, that doesn't seem to be an option on the Edit menu; perhaps that part of the wiki page is out of date. Secondly, I do see a "Save selected as Collision Model" on the File menu, but that generates a "cannot save as collision model" error.

What might I be missing or misinterpreting?

Mmm... I can't get it to work now on any model either. May be some new glitch or change. I have a hazy recollection there was something different about the way separate cm files are handled but I can't recall what it was about.

You're right that menu should be the file menu not the edit menu. I'll correct that on the wiki.

Try this instead for now and do it in stages to prove what works:

Drag out a brush around the dresser very slightly bigger.

Drag it to one side and clear of the ground

Give it any visible texture for now, eg, wood.

RMB grid view and create entity and give it moveables\Misc\atdm:moveable_base

Give it a mass of say 2

Delete your mapname.cm file in the maps folder

dmap

In game you should be able to push that wood block around and pick it up like any moveable.

You might want to adjust the mass and also friction to look realistic.

If the above works OK:

Change its texture to common\collision

Move it back to surround the dresser

Give it frobable 0 (because I think you said you just want to push it not lift it up)

Give it a name eg, dresserCM

Add to the dresser:

bind dresserCM

You need to dmap again because of the change of texture.

In game you should be able to push the dresser around. If any problem, post again and I'll try to create it.

It works! Thank you, Fidcal.

Interesting solution. It had already crossed my mind to try a bind, but I rather inelegantly kept trying to bind the collision box to the dresser model. tongue.gif Apparently something goes wrong when you try to convert a model into a moveable at this point in time; I could never get past the collision error that way. It hadn't crossed my mind to bind the dresser to the box instead. Nice!

Thanks again.