The Dark Mod Forums

TDM on MBP using WINE

slavatrumpevitch

I apologize if this has been asked before, I did a search, but, not surprisingly, looking up "wine" on this forum generates a lot of topics unrelated to what I want...

My question is this;

I know that doom 3 works on a mac book pro using CrossOver (a wine based program). Does this mean that TDM will work as well? Or will that create compatibility issues?

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

I apologize if this has been asked before, I did a search, but, not surprisingly, looking up "wine" on this forum generates a lot of topics unrelated to what I want...

My question is this;

I know that doom 3 works on a mac book pro using CrossOver (a wine based program). Does this mean that TDM will work as well? Or will that create compatibility issues?

If I'm stating the obvious I apologies, but why arent you using Bootcamp and linux..? other taffers are playing TDM directly under linux...

I have my doubts that it will work directly, but you never know...worth a shot. As for native mac, Doom 3 works under OSX but we don't have any programmers familiar with Mac who can build a working copy of the TDM files for us. I've been setting up a build environment for this on a powerbook G4 I was recently given, but it's a bit over my head.

I have my doubts that it will work directly, but you never know...worth a shot. As for native mac, Doom 3 works under OSX but we don't have any programmers familiar with Mac who can build a working copy of the TDM files for us. I've been setting up a build environment for this on a powerbook G4 I was recently given, but it's a bit over my head.

I believe the main issue with supporting an OS X build with a G4 processor is that you'd need to include libraries to deal with the fact that the G4 is big-endian, but Doom3 is also supported on Intel macs, which means this isn't a problem. I would have thought that it should be fairly easy to therefore support TDM on Intel macs, unless I'm missing something?

I have an intel MBP and currently play TDM in XP and Bootcamp (when I'm not at my main PC). The problem is that the fan doesn't kick in under heavy CPU use like it does in OSX so I have to run a utility called smcFanControl to keep the MacBook from melting (had it at just over 100 celcius once!).

I'm pretty sure we wouldn't bother with PPC Macs, they are basically obsolete. EDIT: I see, that's what NH is using; I wouldn't bet on this working though.

I haven't actually tried building the Mod on my Intel Mac at work, it might be worth a try just to see what happens.