The Dark Mod Forums

Planning a hardware refresh... with $700

lost_soul

I'm currently looking at a Phenom II x6 1055t, 4 gigs of DDR3 1333 RAM, 650 watt PSU, and a GTX460. As I have a limited budget, I think 4 gigs will suffice for now. I can always add 4 (or 8) more later if I need it. I already have a 1 TB SATA drive here. I'm also against buying Windows 7 unless absolutely necessary. I've got extra copies of XP home and pro, and I use Linux most of the time anyway. All of my games work fine in XP, and I don't plan to buy 7 until/if it is mandatory for gaming.

Should I go ATI or NVIDIA? It seems ATI has a bigger bang for the buck right now, but I've been screwed by them in the past with Linux support. I would prefer this new machine be able to play standard-def video at a constant frame rate.

Also, are the Phenom X6 chips any good? It seems all Intel wants to sell me for my price range is a dual-core system (hello 4 years ago). I will do media encoding and running other multi-core intensive things. The x6 chips sound a little "too good to be true" for the price, but I certainly don't expect them to perform as well as an I7 extreme 980x.

Simple rule: It just has to be good, not top of the line or anything.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I went with an XFX ATI 5850. A bit pricey but it runs great, having no issues. Mostly just modding (3d, photoshop, DR, TDM) /gaming/watch movies/internet.

But everything else in my comp is so last gen, not really up on the new processors/mobos.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

The only downside I see to buying now is that most mobos in that price range will have socket AM3, not AM3+. The new AMD chips coming out later this year will fit AM3+ sockets, but not AM3. Thus, I would effectively be cementing myself in the last generation, similar to what I did when I got an AGP video card... and a socket 754 Athlon 3200+.

Hi LS

• that 6core cpu is pointless, nothing bar a very few apps will use the extra cores. And as the core's are only clocked at 1.8ghz each all the other apps will run slower. Go for the Amd quad core 965 black-edition, which runs at 3.4gz.
  • DDR3 1333 is no faster than DDR2 1066, why u ask - timings. The ddr3 will have timings of 9-9-9-25 and the ddr2 will have 5-5-5-15. So if your current motherboard will take it just upgrade the amount of ram with the above ddr2. And lastly the ddr3 will be 20% higher in price.
  • the GTX460 is faster and cheaper than the HD5830, so go with nVidia in this case.
  • And as you also run linux, stick with Xp for windows based stuff.

Whats the specs of your current system..?

Edited by Bikerdude

Well, my primary system is the Asus G50vt laptop with Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 ram, and Geforce 9800mgs. It runs everything I want very well. The system I'm interested in replacing is the old socket 754 Athlon 3200+ desktop with 1 GB of ram and only 3 memory slots. That thing really can't be upgraded anymore and it would be nice to have a desktop from within the last 5 years. :)

I'm looking at something like this: http://www.portatech.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=26773&O=27229%2C25377&r=p though I would not waste my time with on-board video.

This one looks to be a very good deal, though the price went up by almost $20. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.473044

That Phenom 2 X6 1055T has a feature where, if you are only using 3 of the cores, it overclocks the others to 3.2 ghz. It defaults to 2.8 ghz. All I would need with this second package is a decent gfx card. I've got a spare HDD here and I would just rip one of the burners out of one of my old machines.

Ive knocked up a new spec from newegg, as I has issue with some of the items supplied.

To stay close to budget I have had to choose a Phenom x4, but if you can lash out another $50 then you can have the X6 - see attached image.

Better everything, bar cpu -

- case: bigger, same price, better layout, easy of access.

- memory: DDR3 1600 w/cas6 timings...!!!

- power supply:, single 12v rail more powerful.

- motherboard:, latest 890 chipset, better spec, more future proof.

- gfx card: factory overclocked for only $10 more than cheapest.

- for most things this cpu will be just as fast or faster than the X6, $50 cheaper.

post-496-128362507255_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bikerdude

Thanks

Pretty nice. The only thing is, I prefer to avoid paying the content mafia for an HDCP infection. I have no intention of buying any BLu-rays, and I don't want to fund people whome I consider worse than terrorists. The problem here is, these people are going to infect all consumer hardware with said malicious features, so we will have to pay for it whether we will want/use it or not.

The imaginary property brigade is committed to taking a cut of my funds, even if I want nothing to do with their imaginary property. It is nothing short of robbery.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to come off as ungrateful or condescending. I'm just opposed to buying hardware that has HDCP support. It just annoys me that we as consumers will have no choice but to fund this stuff, in order to have a decent graphics solution. Somebody needs to make an open-source graphics card that can run modern games... I couldn't care less about films. HDCP allows the content industry to artificially downgrade video quality if you're not connected via an HDCP-compliant monitor. This way, they can team up with display manufacturers to make us buy new displays for no reason by forcing our hardware to downgrade the video. More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdcp

I've got a 1280x1024 19" monitor connected via VGA (feel free to laugh). It works for me. I shouldn't have to worry about some goons sabotaging it in an attempt to force me to upgrade.

I get where your coming from, but...

hdcp is only mostly enforceable in windows vista or above and under windows xp it is easily bypassed (just use powerdvd + windows for easy B-ray playback) and linux well its non-existent. Also a lot of pc monitors still dont support hdcp btw so there is no issue there.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... that 6-core 1055T does not hold up very well when playing games. Just look at this. http://www.anandtech...055t-reviewed/9

Notice how well the AMD quad 965 does instead. Now, maybe this is a better plan. http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.472937

Only question is, can that 430 WATT psu support one GTX460 video card? I'm not going to go crazy and buy a top of the line video card or ever go SLI or anything like that. I just want something that doesn't suck

EDIT: Bah.. that is a Micro-ATX mobo. That means it probably isn't ideal for a gaming machine. Too bad, because the price is great!

Edited by lost_soul

Well, I found another system on PriceWatch for $430. It has a Phenom II x4 965 CPU, 4 gigs of DDR3 ram, (mobo supports 16 gigs), and a 650 watt PSU. Now this looks like the best bang for the buck. An I7 920 system would cost *at least* $100 more, and the benchmarks do not justify that price increase. If I put in $100 more, I can get 8 gigs instead of 4.

Here it is. http://www.portatech.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=26773&O=26608%2C25377&r=p

I didn't select a video card, because I only saw ATIs and I don't know the status of their Linux drivers. I know a GTX460 can be had for aroun $180 though. I would also get a hard drive with a gift card from best buy, or just use this 1 TB drive here.

I had a look at Portetech, and I cant recommend using them as you cant be sure of the specs/details of some of the components (memory, Psu, case). I spend a good while selecting the components on the new egg list, the devil is in the details as the saying goes - which I don't think your appreciating.

Now we can cut back on the specs of some of the items, such as the memory/PSU/case - but I choose them because that will give very good bang for the buck and will give you a certain amount of future proofing that the Portatech system will not.

• 2 months later...

Now THIS is tempting...

Phenom II x6 1075t at 3 GHz for $200

Motherboard supporting DDR3 1600, up to 16 gigs via 4 slots = $60

4 gigs of DDR3 1333 memory for $60!

*recycled 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM drive from my external enclosure, and recycled DVD drive from a current PC*

EITHER a Geforce gtx460 at $170, or a cheaper gtx260 for $99, or even another Geforce 9800gt for $55

some decent case and power supply I've yet to find for about $70

Grand total: under $600 for a pretty decent machine depending on video card choice.

What do you think? Here are the links

Motherboard: http://www.amazon.co...IN%3DB0035JL2UU (note manufacturer says the board supports six core but amazon doesn't).

CPU: http://www.newegg.co...-AMD-_-19103858

RAM: http://www.komusa.co...hymifco4gb.html

Video card: http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/video_cards/geforce_gtx_460

It is too bad I have to go out of town next week, because I'm about two seconds from ordering this. It is just so tempting.Perhaps these deals will still be there next weekend when I return.

Edited by lost_soul

• 1 month later...

Alright, I've started ordering parts today. I went with 8 gigs of DDR3 ram @1333 mhz for $114 and a msi 870-g45 motherboard. I cheaped out and ordered a Thermaltake TR2 W0388RU 600W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply. It is only $40 after a rebate, and my alternative was a $75 Antec EarthWatts. Only question I have about that is that this one doesn't say Active-PFC. I hope this wasn't a mistake. I know Thermaltake is supposed to be a decent brand, so it should be trustworthy.

Now I must decide on a video card. The only modern game I currently care to play is TDM. I will not be buying Windows 7 until/unless it becomes absolutely necessary to run any of my software. This machine will run Linux and Windows XP for those old games like Thief 1/3 and some others. Thus I do care about support for the latest OpenGL stuff, but not DirectX.

I can get a GTX260 with 896 megs of RAM for $130, or a GTX 460 with only 768 megs for $160. Which should I buy?

I will pick up the CPU at the store, because I have gift cards to reduce the price by a good chunk.

How's this "Palit Microsoystems" GTX460 for $140? http://www.mwave.com...riteria=AA98983

EDIT: Meh... It says that power supply is >72% efficient. That isn't too far from 80, and really isn't worth crying about for almost $30 less thanks to the rebate.

Edited by lost_soul

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got the machine today. It was much cheaper than planned and it runs great! I'm currently using 3% of the system RAM.I shipped that one power supply back and they refunded me right away, no questions asked.

Debian worked right out of the box. All I had to do was install an updated NVidia driver from their web site, but networking and sound work fine.

Edited by lost_soul