The Dark Mod Forums

Help in the Basement

soulful

This is my first time playing a TDM. It was a little hard to get used to the differences in TDM and Thief. The character doesn't have the skills that Garrett has, unfortunately. Thank you Fidcal and Southa for all your efforts.

Managed to play through to the mansion, and eventually the basement. I entered the code correctly to open the door, frobbed the key from the guard and went upstairs for another key to the basement. Entered the basement and doused all the lights without being seen. Those horrible creatures are after me and I don't seem to have a chance. How do I take them all out? I used my bombs in the police station.

Do I have to use the formula found in the book to proceed for the health potion, or is it on one of the tables in the basement? What else do I need to do in the basement to complete the game?

One thing I object to is the time it takes to use the lockpicks to open doors and chests. That discouraged me, so some of the doors I didn't try to open since I have my total in loot and completed the other objectives.

The expression on the face of the fallen is eerie. Such realism.

soulful, which FM are you currently playing? (I guess English is not your native language? It was hard to understand what you mean)

Health potions are just reddish bottles, you can pick them up when you find them and once they are in your inventory, press "USE" to use them.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

This must be The Alchemist right?

First, remember to hide spoilers. This is under 'Other Styles' at top left of the editor.

The TDM player has greater skills and powers than Garrett - you just haven't learnt to use them all yet. ;)

In the basement you don't need to kill all the creatures. It is possible to get the holy health potion without them even knowing you are there. However if you want to kill them there are some possibilities.

Go out and give them time to quieten down if you have alerted them

You can use the spiky balls to press against them. Hold it out far from you (mousewheel) so it doesn't hurt you.

In the police station there are a lot of fire arrows.

In future missions you should preserve your weapons more carefully. ;)

I guess he is playing "the Alchemist".

@soulful

There already is a thread for this mission, please stick to it for questions you may have in

the future:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11170-fan-mission-the-alchemist-by-sotha-fidcal20100601/page__st__150

To your question:

The potion is right next to the body in the center of the room, you have to sneak close

to it, while staying in the shadow, then lean forward to grab it. It is hard, but not impossible !

Fighting is not the best way to get the potion, you do not have to take them all out !

Edited by Chiron

This must be The Alchemist right?

First, remember to hide spoilers. This is under 'Other Styles' at top left of the editor.

The TDM player has greater skills and powers than Garrett - you just haven't learnt to use them all yet. ;)

In the basement you don't need to kill all the creatures. It is possible to get the holy health potion without them even knowing you are there. However if you want to kill them there are some possibilities.

Go out and give them time to quieten down if you have alerted them

You can use the spiky balls to press against them. Hold it out far from you (mousewheel) so it doesn't hurt you.

In the police station there are a lot of fire arrows.

In future missions you should preserve your weapons more carefully. ;)

Uh oh, I looked for the spoiler but couldn't find it. Yes, I was playing The Alchemist....sorry.. I am sure when I get to perfecting my skills, I will be doing much better.

Thank you for all the replies.

BTW, English is my native language. My phrasing and 'cart before the horse' must have thrown you off.

I applaud your enthusiasm, but man, that's a rough first mission. Maybe after that, try something like Sons of Baltona part 1, a nice mansion crawler.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I'm assuming he grabbed a few missions, and the menu alphabetically sorted Alchemist as the first mission....

Xarg, you assumed correctly. That is the only one I have downloaded.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

We should add a "difficulty" score to each FM on thedarkmod.com, probably just "easy", "medium", "expert" and add this as column, so people can sort the missions on this setting, and start with the "easy" ones. As we slowly approach the >50 territory, it becomes almost impossible for new people to know which missions to start with.

training mission should be set to easy, as should be thiefs den and any other small mission, I'd say. The bigger missions, or missions like "swing" should be set to expert.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Perhaps additional information for maps that may not be labelled intuitively for new people, for example:

Title.................notes.......................released........size........author(s)

Alchemist.pk4..Thief's Den part 4.....xx/yy/zzzz.....xyzMB....xxx/yyy

Heart.pk4........Thief's Den part 3.....xx/yy/zzzz.....xyzMB....xxx/yyy

same thing with the NHAT trilogy, since the .pk4 names (politics, anoott, forest) may mean nothing to a new user

Anoott.pk4 NHAT part 2 xx/yy/zzzz xyzMB xxx/yyy

etc etc.

Edited by Xarg

Perhaps additional information for maps that may not be labelled intuitively for new people, for example:

Title.................notes.......................released........size........author(s)

Alchemist.pk4..Thief's Den part 4.....xx/yy/zzzz.....xyzMB....xxx/yyy

Heart.pk4........Thief's Den part 3.....xx/yy/zzzz.....xyzMB....xxx/yyy

same thing with the NHAT trilogy, since the .pk4 names (politics, anoott, forest) may mean nothing to a new user

Anoott.pk4 NHAT part 2 xx/yy/zzzz xyzMB xxx/yyy

etc etc.

The wiki does list this, but not thedarkmod.com. To make this visible in the build-in downloader, we need to add this to thedarkmod.com, too.

@greebo: What do I need to do to add these two columns (difficulty and notes/series) to thedarkmod.com?

We should add a "difficulty" score to each FM on thedarkmod.com,

I don't think "difficulty" is a particularly good descriptor. Not only is it entirely subjective (why is a small mission any easier than a medium-sized one?) but it also varies widely depending on what Difficulty level you select in the game.

Every mission has a menu-screen full of text info that should inform the player whether it is part of a continuing mission or not. It can also be used to make recommendations about skill level needed, if any.

The website could also have a few simple recommendations for newcomers deciding what to download.