The Dark Mod Forums

noob questions

eigenface

Probably answered many times already, in places I haven't been able to find. Probably many more questions of this type to come.

I'm supposed to start up dark mod and dark radiant at the same time, so I can preview my map in dark mod with a command from dark radiant. I don't see how that's supposed to happen. Once dark mod is started, it's impossible for me to switch to any other program. Is there a way to run dark mod in a window instead of fullscreen?

Probably answered many times already, in places I haven't been able to find. Probably many more questions of this type to come.

I'm supposed to start up dark mod and dark radiant at the same time, so I can preview my map in dark mod with a command from dark radiant. I don't see how that's supposed to happen. Once dark mod is started, it's impossible for me to switch to any other program. Is there a way to run dark mod in a window instead of fullscreen?

Welcome to the editing guild! newbies or experienced, we're glad to have you! first up, if you've got a lot more questions, there's a thread devoted to it, "Newbie DarkRadiant Questions", i've probably wasted hours of valuable experienced team members time in that thread myself :) (It'll pay off some day).

If you wish to run tdmlauncher and darkradiant at the same time, i believe there is a fullscreen option in the menu, but I forget where it is, because I always alt+enter which works just as well. Some mappers have multi-monitor setups, which i envy, but for the rest of us, that will work just fine.

Good luck, have fun!

Thanks for the reply, but I still can't get out of dark mod once I start it. I can switch to non-fullscreen mode, either in settings or by alt-enter, but then I just get OS chrome around the edges of the screen, and nothing else changes. Still can't switch to another program, still can't select anything outside the dark mod window (which takes up the whole screen.) My cursor is the dark mod cursor and I can't get an OS cursor, so I can't interact with anything outside the dark mod window, can't select another program, can't close the window, etc. I'm on win 7 64. Any help much appreciated - I can't even get started with this.

Edited by eigenface

Elo Eigen

Yes its possible and a supported function. Like you I run both at the same time, but maybe unlike you I have dual screens. The standard way of getting out of a windows TDM screen is to press 'ctrl-alt-tilde' keys at thje same time to bring up the in-game console, then you can just alt-tab out of the window. But there is a better way, so here is a quick bullet point run down.

1. create a short cut in the room of your doom3 directory to doom3.exe and then modify the target properties of the shortcut as follows:

" D:\Games\Doom\Doom3.exe +set fs_game darkmod +set com_allowConsole 1 "

the path to the doom3 folder will be different on your pc, but the extra bits on the end are what you interested in -

' +set fs_game darkmod ' - this is the old school way of running a doom3 mod, but it is required for the below to work

' +set com_allowConsole 1 ' - this will alow you to open the in-game console with a single key press, in this case the tilde key (next to the '1' and above the 'tab' keys)

2. Darkradient dosent require anything more special then to setup the default settings, but here are two extra bits of info you might find usefull:

I like others like to use lots of keyboard short cuts, as its faster than using the mouse, so go to edit>keyboard shortcuts -

[*]then scroll down and find "transform dialog", and change the key to R (it mnouse about being assigned to another option, but ignore)

[*]then scroll and find ' save ' and change the key to F5, single key saves just before you dmap are the way to go.

3. Tips of the day -

1st tip - ' always wait for DR to finish saving a map before dmaping, otherwise doom throws up an error '

2nd tip - ' to speed up dmapping create a config file in the root of your darkmod folder with the dmap/map commands, so all you have to type when compiling a map is ' exec <the-name-of-the-map> '

e.g.

-the map is called 'my_test.map '

-make a config file called test.cfg

-open it with notepad and inside test.cfg put-

dmap my_test
map my_test

- and then all you have to type from the console is ' exec test ' when compiling your map etc.

:-)

Edited by Bikerdude