The Dark Mod Forums

mod / map path weirdness

ungoliant

ok something screwy is going on around here. Decided this time around to use startmap.pk4 and a stand-alone project to start my noob campaign mission, then import my existing work. but things got weird with the paths and shortcuts.

ok first up a note on the console feedback when typing "fs_game" and "fs_game_base" when using tdmlauncher.

fs_game - "mod path"
fs_game_base - "alternate mod path, searched after the main fs_game path, before the basedir"

isn't that backwards? My assumption is that the load order should be basedir-> fs_game_base-> fs_game, and that fs_game_base was the mod path, and fs_game is the path for the FM? The preferences in DR would seem to confirm this. Shouldn't it look like:

fs_game_base - "mod path"
fs_game - "alternate mod path, searched after basedir and fs_game_base"

ok with that out of the way, this is my actual problem. Following the startmap wiki page, i created a new tdmlauncher shortcut target with the following arguments:

D:\Games\Doom3\darkmod\tdmlauncher.exe +set com_allowconsole 1 +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game mymapname

but it doesn't seem to work. I tried installing the new map first, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc etc. But every time i use this shortcut the settings end up as follows: fs_game_base = "", fs_game = "darkmod". Vanilla tdmlauncher with no mission installed, and no arguments yields the same results (isn't fs_game_base supposed to be set to "darkmod", not fs_game?)

The only way it works proper is to install an FM with vanilla tdmlauncher and run it with vanilla tdmlauncher, which yields: fs_game_base = "darkmod", fs_game = "FM name".

so whats going on, here..?

Edited by ungoliant

if that is the case, then i don't understand why after installing any mission, TDM says fs_game_base = darkmod, and fs_game = FM name.

also, if that is true, this section of the startpack wiki page might need to be changed:

To do this copy your normal Darkmod desktop shortcut and edit the properties to include in the properties: +set fs_game_base darkmod +set fs_game mymap

edit: hell with it, i can't get that shortcut to work, even after mixing and matching values in fs_game_base and fs_game. I'm just going to keep the damn mission installed when i'm working on it, and use tdmlauncher without arguments.

Edited by ungoliant

d'oh! i've never even used TDM without tdmlauncher.exe before. Still, the whole fs_game / fs_game_base thing confuzzles the hell out of me. I've seen several bits of documentation with conflicting information.

Well, I think as long as you don't alter any existing definitions (like materials etc.) in you FM, you won't notice any difference. Those commandline arguments basically just tell Doom 3 how conflicts are supposed to be handled.