The Dark Mod Forums

cant get the tdm_update_helper.command working in Mac OSX

BringBackXP

Greetings,

Just trying to get TDM working with Doom3 on my Mac for the 1st time. I believe I have correctly followed the install directions, but I can not get the "tdm_update_helper.command" working. Im not good with Unix/Linux so please talk to me like a noob. Heres what Terminal says when i try to execute:

/Users/admin/Library/Application\ Support/Doom\ 3/darkmod/tdm_update_helper.command ; exit;

Power-Mac-G5:~ admin$ /Users/admin/Library/Application\ Support/Doom\ 3/darkmod/tdm_update_helper.command ; exit;

dyld: Symbol not found: __ZNKSt9bad_alloc4whatEv

Referenced from: /Users/admin/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdm_update.macosx

Expected in: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib

Trace/BPT trap

logout

[Process completed]

Dont know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Power-Mac-G5:~

I believe the problem is you're using a G5 PowerPC processor, and the MacOS version of TDM is compiled for the newer (2006 onwards) Intel processor Macs. I'm not sure that PowerPC would be supported as I doubt any of the developers have the relevant hardware to build on (correct me if I'm wrong) and it would possibly require code changes to support PowerPC architecture. Sorry. sad.gif

Can I get any confirmation that TDM is a Intel only modification, while Doom 3 is for PPC & Intel?

I was about to, but my copy of the TDM library says it's a Universal Binary (i.e. Intel + PPC rather than just Intel). The missing symbol mentioned in the error is in the library, my guess is there might be some other dependencies that are Intel only. I'll try do some more digging, but it would be best to wait for a confirmation / explanation from a developer.

Out of curiosity, can you use the terminal to find out whether your library is also a Universal Binary? Open terminal and cd to the darkmod folder (e.g. "cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Doom\ 3/darkmod/") then issue the command "file game.dylib".

Edited by Midnight

Im wondering If I just have files in the wrong place because I dont have a "game.dylib" file in the darkmod folder, its in my base folder. When I cd to Base folder & file game.dylib, I get:

game.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures

game.dylib (for architecture ppc): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc

game.dylib (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386

I also have a gameppc.dylib in the base folder, and I get this:

gameppc.dylib: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc

Im going to attach some screen shots of my folder contents, maybe you could look at them and tell me if something is in the wrong place?

post-8440-131377259791_thumb.png

post-8440-131377264871_thumb.png

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were getting the error when launching, not when running the updater.blush.gif You won't have the library in the darkmod folder because it's in one of the files that the updater downloads.

Re-reading your original post it looks like it is indeed a dependency issue, the 'libstdc++.6.dylib' library is required by the updater program. My guess is if you use the 'file' command with this library it will say it is PPC architecture only. If that's the case then I don't know what to suggest. It might be possible to replace your standard C libs for UB versions, but since the C library is such a core part of the OS you'd want to be careful about doing this.

The only safe way to do this would be to install the latest developer tools package from Apple (which I think includes all necessary libs), but I don't know if this would recognise you're on PowerPC and give you a different set of libraries to the ones I have (mine are Intel + PPC). The developer tools package is huge from what I remember, so I'll try find out more info first.

There's no up to date single TDM download that I can find (and torrent doesn't seem to offer up any seeds either). Do you have another computer with Windows / Linux that you could use to download the base package? If so then you could copy the contents of the darkmod folder across. I think you'd need another Mac specific package once that's done, but this is quite small so I could PM you with a link.

Edited by Midnight

ok, I copied over that tdm_game03.pk4 that you sent over, into the darkmod folder with the stuff from my other Windows Computer. Then launched the tdmlauncher_helper.command and i get this in terminal:

Last login: Wed Jun 1 10:18:27 on console

/Users/admin/Library/Application\ Support/Doom\ 3/darkmod/tdmlauncher_helper.command ; exit;

Power-Mac-G5:~ admin$ /Users/admin/Library/Application\ Support/Doom\ 3/darkmod/tdmlauncher_helper.command ; exit;

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: __ZSt16__ostream_insertIcSt11char_traitsIcEERSt13basic_ostreamIT_T0_ES6_PKS3_i

Referenced from: /Users/admin/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdmlauncher.macosx

dyld: Symbol not found: __ZSt16__ostream_insertIcSt11char_traitsIcEERSt13basic_ostreamIT_T0_ES6_PKS3_i

Referenced from: /Users/admin/Library/Application Support/Doom 3/darkmod/tdmlauncher.macosx

Trace/BPT trap

logout

[Process completed]

So I then ran the "ls -l tdm_game*" command and I get this:

Power-Mac-G5:darkmod admin$ ls -l tdm_game*

-rwxrwxr-x 1 admin wheel 2267742 Aug 18 09:55 tdm_game01.pk4

-rwxrwxr-x 1 admin wheel 3639726 Aug 18 09:55 tdm_game02.pk4

-rw-r--r--@ 2 admin wheel 6816212 Aug 22 15:58 tdm_game03.pk4

I Then try to change the permissions, but it doesnt seem to actually do anything:

Power-Mac-G5:darkmod admin$ sudo chmod 644 tdm_game03.pk4

sudo: /var/db/sudo/admin owned by uid 99, should be uid 0

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

Power-Mac-G5:darkmod admin$

I type my password in and hit enter, but it does not confirm anything like "process complete" and the permissions seem to not change. Im clearly logged in as the admin, so im not sure what this means. I tried to find a solution elsewhere on the internet, but no go.

Okay, I no longer believe this to be a dependency issue, your install looks fine and everything should be working correctly, Doom3 and TDM are both Universal Binaries meaning that the process is fully PPC and should work on your system.

However, I've read that if a program or library is compiled to be a Universal Binary in 'debug' rather than 'release' mode, then it may not work correctly on PPC systems. Unfortunately this is as far as I can take this, you'll have to wait for a TDM developer recompile the launcher program and/or TDM library for release (assuming this is what is causing the error).

Edited by Midnight

• 2 months later...