The Dark Mod Forums

JASF, HAWX and co.

SeriousToni

In my very youth I used to play a wonderful game called F 22 Air Dominance Fighter. Once you worked through the manual and some tutorial missions, this game was really fun, because you mastered flying a complex air plane. You could do several sttings, press each button you see and had to know much about flying and fighting tactics or even know how to land on the bunt when your hydraluc system got hit.

My eyes drain since this long gone days everytime when a new "advanced complex air fighting simulation" comes out. Because nowadays these (I would them call arcade) "simulations" just play like: camera behind you plane the whole time, crosshair in the middle, shoot them via left click, rockets automaticly hit them, press up down left right to fly around, got hit and explode.

Damnit are the people getting stupid more and more or what? You can't tell how angry and said this makes me...

New JASF game:

JASF_Screenshots-13.jpg

Good ol' F22:

rockets1024x768.jpg

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

If you're looking for "hardcore" sims, have a look at the DCS games like Black Shark or A-10, or even Rise of Flight.

DCS even gives you full startup procedures including having to memorize lots of virtual buttons and switches that you can push in the cockpit :).

Rise of Flight isn't modern day ( WW1 instead ), but the flight model is nice and the graphics are pretty.

I haven't played A-10 myself, but expect lots of head-on-desk moments in Black Shark, especially when you crash for no apparent reason and then later find out that your rotor blades were spinning too fast and collided with each other :wacko:

I know what you mean. It's the cheapest strategy to make commercially successful games: Take a good old game (that will draw the attention of an older fan base) and make a completely new game that uses all the current trends to get the biggest slice of the market. I don't even need to make a lot of assumptions on what is the biggest slice of the market to know it probably doesn't contain the fan base of the original.

• 5 months later...

Pilots, grab your gear and get into the plane!

http://community.combatsim.com/topic/20202-f-22-total-air-war-222a-released/

Total Air War 2 is a package that includes the F22 Total Air War game, plus the F22 Air Dominance Fighter missions aaand many extra features like windows 7 support and enhanced graphics.

A small team worked on this over years to bring back a 15 years old classic to modern machines.

Download version 2.2 today - it's all free and you don't need to own the original games. We start in the training section and meet up in a few days online in Head-to-Head-Battles or even Coop-based missions!

Join the skies!

10kdload.png

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager