The Dark Mod Forums

DLC

Loa4ever

I thinks this topic can bring new discussions and opinions :).

What do you think about DLC business? Fair? Unfair? It's good for our new generation? Or bad? Do you think companies should do this more times? or do you think they should stop?

My honest opinion is I don't like this business is simply BS even when is free. When we play nowadays a game we expect to be a complete game with full experience to give us gamers enjoyment. Seems that time is ending. Companies now make games with less story replacing with dlc business, some of them you have to pay to get extra, in some cases is free. Like I said before I don't like this, I know perfectly I pay this if I want but don't you think this is unfair? I want a complete experience, I want to unlock stuff playing the game you know like the old times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePNHfnR-SwA&list=UUkHquxxDre50KXtjJFZjMUw&index=4&feature=plcp

Where it is a video I found discussing this topic being very interesting, give a look.

It's the same shit as the "Collector's Editions". You have to buy all the stuff for many extra money seperately, that would have been in one box for the normal price a decade ago. It was called "full game" and "manual" back then.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I think that DLC politics is bullshit, when content is ripped off the product before the release, to sell it later (like in DiRT3) or it hinders modding.

So in my opinion good DLC politics have been made in the following products:

Portal 2 (free DLC + new map editor!)

The Witcher 2 (free DLC)

Bad politics have been made in:

DiRT 3 (I can't finish the game without buying them. §/*%[$!)

Overlord 2 (DLC only available for consoles.)

Need for Speed series (certain cars only in the "limited edition" - this wasn't limited, NFS:The Run LE is stilles selled, after 1 year.)

Assassin's Creed 3 (limited editions, PS exclusive stuff, preorder items)

... and many, many more!

I don't want to buy the Very-Special-Imba-Über-Collector's Edition to have like 2 whatever cars beside the other 30, this isn't worth a new edition, even though it is the same price. EA only does this, to sell their year-to-year re-released products at full price to as much people as they can.

It also feels like I missed something, when an item is only selled at a particular shop like Amazon or GameStop. So you can never get the FULL game. -.-

I always cast an eye on the Steam Summer Sale, to get all this crappy DLCs for a penny.

To sum things up: I want Addons back, like in the good old days too. (DLC politics tend to have more benefits for companies than for customers.)

Edited by Radiant

It's the same shit as the "Collector's Editions". You have to buy all the stuff for many extra money seperately, that would have been in one box for the normal price a decade ago. It was called "full game" and "manual" back then.

Agree with you there too. I just can't understand why people just let themselves go like is nothing without thinking. An good example speaking of such is ACIII series comes to my mind. Why the hell Special Editions with extra contact and story? I mean... shouldn't that be in the game already? Oh well... seems I'm becoming old lol.

Look at Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 3.

They made 3 Addons for BF2 which each included a massive amount of new maps, vehicles and even a whole new gameplay for the Spec Ops Addon.

They'll do 5 DLCs for BF3 which each includes 4 new maps and approx. 5 weapons. Some even have a few new vehicles. Each DLC costs 15 €. You can also buy BF3 Premium which costs 50 € and includes the DLCs (even though they're not yet all released). You could also have bought BF3 Collectors Edition which included the first DLC for 65 € in the beginning.

It's all about money.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Look at Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 3.

They made 3 Addons for BF2 which each included a massive amount of new maps, vehicles and even a whole new gameplay for the Spec Ops Addon.

They'll do 5 DLCs for BF3 which each includes 4 new maps and approx. 5 weapons. Some even have a few new vehicles. Each DLC costs 15 €. You can also buy BF3 Premium which costs 50 € and includes the DLCs (even though they're not yet all released). You could also have bought BF3 Collectors Edition which included the first DLC for 65 € in the beginning.

It's all about money.

Indeed it is. And the companies (all of them) will follow this example I'm afraid, hope some remain sane and look for their costumers.

I love the concept of official expansions. My personal favorite was Quake 2 CTF. It wasn't part of the initial game, but was released by Zoid later for free. It kept me playing for years.

If there's a game I really like, and I mean really really like, it is great to have more levels to play which were made by skilled people. I don't care if they charge for them as long as the price is reasonable and there is enough new content to justify it.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.