The Dark Mod Forums

Getting a new computer and need opinions on the specs

Goldwell

Hey guy's,

There are some differences in core architecture and driver development for those core platforms.

Firstly I have owned many ATI, ATI/AMD, and Nivida Cards in the past and Nvidia always were a little bit better with driver development and performance.

Having said that The ATI/AMD 4870X2 I had was killer but had problems with cross fire for ages like a year or so and still suffers from micro stutter in crossfire mode, But the drivers have improved heaps over the last couple years.

I'm still running a GTX 470 SOC from Nvidia as this doesn't suffer from micro stutter nearly as bad.

ATI/AMD are looking more appealing to me now because of their driver support being heaps better these days and there performance\Dollar in the mid to high end range is slightly better than Nvidia at the moment.

ATI/AMD are developing mantle which if adopted by software developers will bring performance benefits (assuming it is not released for others to use) on their architecture.

Nvidia have announced a new tech their calling G-sync which if hardware manufactures adopt it, will lead to V-sync technology being thrown out all together. As V-sync is a bygone tech carried over from the CRT (cathode ray tube) era of display technology I would say it looks very interesting and promising.

I'm looking into getting a laptop and the only real problem I have now is what card/cards to put in it ATI/AMD or Nvidia. :wacko:

I would say at the mid\high end go ATI/AMD they have better bundles as well with games and such. At the high end nothing at the moment beats an Nvidia titan for single card performance.

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

The Titan is beating out the GTX780? Either way, high end GTX/Titan or high end Radeon are solid cards unless you require bleeding edge performance, in which case a GTX780 or Titan is probably what you're after... but remember, take your wallet to dinner afterwards!

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll weigh in on the video card recommendation. I've owned a few of both, like many here I'm sure, and I'm pretty solidly in the Nvidia camp for the foreseeable future. Reason being, driver support. For me that makes all the difference. Where video rendering power and performance are considered they're nearly evenly matched. They both have driver shortcomings every now and then particularly when new cards are introduced in to the fray and in my experience I've had fewer issues in general with Nvidia drivers.

@TJ, we have spoken about this before and Im sure I would have said what Im about to say now..

There is no point wasiting silly sumes of money on the very top end cards,

• I have a Gigabyte GTX670 (2GB, tri-fan windforce) and its easity as fast as a GTX770 and its still worth the price I paid for it (£250)
  • Top end cards are only usefull if your monitor res is above 1920*1080 or you have a multi-monitor setup (I game at 1680*1050 and that is why my card still holds its own)
  • My first golden rule is never spend more on a GFX card than you would on a console, thats £250, or £300 if the card is very good)
  • And my second golden rule is only buy a card with a descent 3rd party cooler as std (like the vapor evap, tri-fan unit on my 670) never buy a GFX card with a stock AMD/nVidia cooler (to loud & hot)
  • And my 3rd golden rule, once rules 1 & 2 have been satisfied, try and get a card with the longest warranty - Gigabyte offer 3yrs on thier cards.

• And my second golden rule is only buy a card with a descent 3rd party cooler as std (like the vapor evap, tri-fan unit on my 670) never buy a GFX card with a stock AMD/nVidia cooler (to loud & hot)

Since the 580 and up I haven't had any noise related issues with the stock Nvidia cooler. If you game an any even small volume and/or wear headphones, there's nothing to even hear.

I appreciate the fact that the hot air is exhausted from the system and not just blustered around inside the case for another fan to exhaust.

My only niggle with what you said. The rest is good advice.

As a note, I watercool my cpu so the gpu fan is really the only noisemaker and its subtle enough not to be noticed. (single 780gtx) It is being taxed too with multiple monitors.

I'm sure aftermarket coolers are fractionally quieter however I have never taken notice that my gpu fan was spooled up.

Also, I have a lightly used, never overclocked gtx580 if you're in the market for that. I'll make you a good deal if you're interested.

Edited by Lux