The Dark Mod Forums

Fett Application Thread

Fett

Fett from TTLG here. I'd love to help out with any writing, character dev, spell checking, etc. for the Dark Mod. I did about 50% of the principal writing for cutscenes, briefings, and in-game texts for T2X which should be out before you guys get down to brass tacks on the hardcore writing (???). I also wrote the parody 'Thief: Deadly Simplicities' which can still be viewed on pg. 2 of the Thief Gen forum at ttlg. Don't currently have a copy of Doom 3, but I'll be picking it up. I can send some samples, or would you rather just check out T2X? I have a bit of administrative experience from working on T2X the last 4 years, but you guys seem to have that end of things well in hand. Let me know if I can help in any way - the project looks great so far.

p.s. Also sent you an e-mail.

Deadly simplicities alone already shows that you have good writing skills. I always love to read it, even though I don't like the political references in some of them, but over all I enjoyed them really. :) Espcially that parody humor regarding specific events in the game is really hillarious. :)

Gerhard

Heh - the main problem with Deadly Simplicities is that it's mostly off the cuff - no time to really develop anything deeper. Then you're stuck with whatever you did the previous chapter and if it sucks (i.e. the political references) you've got to work around it instead of being able to fix it. <_<

I'm working on the TDP parody right now and trying to at least have a rough outline of the plot so I'm not writing myself into a corner constantly. Thanks for the compliments though! :D

The cool thing about the TDS parody elements was that they were really straight from the game emphasizing some week points in a funny way, while the political elemtns seemd somehow forced to me. But that's only my personal opinion and not everybody will agree. I'm looking forward to your TDP parody. :)

Gerhard

The major question that I have is, if we have room for another writer? I know that Fett is good, but macsen is handling our writing and I wonder if we can gain some advantage from having another one. Depending on what we can use Fett of course. Plotting out details of readables and conversation might be ok, but the story itself seems to be tightened up already.

Gerhard

I don't have any problem with another writer, as long as he/she doesn't start tearing down what's been done already. The problem is that the basic structure of the plot is done (as in 'not going to change') and the mini-plots that structure each mission are done for levels 1-4. I'm also pretty much finished on level 6, just waiting until level 5 is done before posting anything up (for the sake of chronology). The readables and conversations for levels 1-4 are roughly done. This all means that, apart from level 5, Fett would have very little actual creative stuff to do. He can create readables and conversations, as long as they fit into what has already been done for the level, but little else. He can do anything he wants with mission 4, because I've barely started thinking about it, apart from the stuff that links to the rest of the campaign.

What I'm afraid of is that throwing another writer into the mix would be much akin to throwing dynamite into a carefully constructed mine. We've finally gotten through the arguments and general hoo-hah that inevitably accompanies the forming of a story. We don't actually need another writer, since the campaign won't be out for ages and most of the difficult stuff has been worked out already. I have plenty of time to do the rest, especially as the summer approaches.

However, there are advantages to bringing in another writer. It means he can write things with a different 'voice', so that all the readables and conversations won't be in the same style. It also means we can argue amongst ourselves without bothering the rest of the team for their opinions.

Yeah - I don't want to add anything new. If you guys need some side stories, sub-plots, or even extra random readables, I can churn that stuff out pretty steadily. I also thought it might help to have another set of eyes checking for plot consistency, grammar, etc. unless you've already got someone. Just let me know if you need anything really - I'm willing to do the grunt work.

Even though Mac has the campaign pretty well covered, we still have the standalone missions that could use a writers touch. At the very least we could put him on that.

Hell, let him go crazy and work with Mac on everything. While having too many cooks can blah blah blah ecetera, having 2 could add alot of spice to the mix and make the story that much better.

I have no problem with that. Just don't want to him to join the team with nothing to do. Wouldn't be very productive.

So what about the mansion stand alone mission? I thought this was planned to be also the intro for the campaign? or do you want to make a seperate mission (which I would have no problem with).

Gerhard

So what about the mansion stand alone mission? I thought this was planned to be also the intro for the campaign? or do you want to make a seperate mission (which I would have no problem with).

Tht's the first mission Milestone Mansion (working title). That's probably the most 'done' mission writing wise.

Hell, let him go crazy and work with Mac on everything. While having too many cooks can blah blah blah ecetera, having 2 could add alot of spice to the mix and make the story that much better.

And could make my head explode. I already have to deal with Springheel and oDDity. But anyway, welcome to the team Fett. :)

In cases like this it might not really be neccessary to do the applicant and contributor thingy. This is more for people we don't know anything about and we want to evaluate them. The contributor status is a different thing though. The purpose is to see if a new guy actually works for the mod. Doesn't matter how good he/she is or what he did before, because we don't want to have to many teammembers where only 10 are doing something while the others are just on the roll. So I think the contributor status is in order for everybody.

Gerhard