The Dark Mod Forums

I'm wondering if this would be possible in Dark Mod

Skaruts

I would love to do it here, just for the fun of it (I love creating interactivity and stuff), but I'm still not aware of all the potential darkradiant offers. But I'm very curious, and if anyone tells me this can be done I'll be more motivated to do some research so that I eventually get it done. :)

Of course, this would have to be adapted to the world of thief, and strobe lights and lasers wouldn't be a thing.

My FMs: By The Cookbook

Is much easy to do this on TDM then it was on source i think, and would look much better, has TDM uses idtech 4 a full per pixel dynamic lights engine, you can do the "scripting" visually on the editor by binding and linking stuff to another and using triggers or func objects to do some game logic, for example i was able to make on a test map, a light that would turn off and on and even swap models without even touching a line of code, it was all made on Darkradiant visually. :)

The physics is a problem has idtech 4 uses a much simpler physics engine and source uses Havok, but from what i saw on the video the bowling stuff should be doable, there's even code for a gravity gun on idtech 4 don't know if that is available on TDM tho.

Edited by HMart

Please expand on 'this' in the question, "this can be done". There are many 'this'es in that clip.

The major points to consider might be the lights that change color and flash (I'm aware of the limitations regarding lights - they were the reason for the errors I had in that map), the mechanical parts in the bowling room, such as the ball recovery system, the pin recovery system, and stuff like that.

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook

Without spending five minutes on a video...

Yes, most lights already flicker/flash by default. Worst case to change color simply turn another colored one on in the same space.

Mechanical stuff is done with "movers", some of which, like elevators, involve scripting for user control of them. Basic stuff like gears, rotation, swinging, back and forth linear can be done without scripting, if the control is nothing more than turn off/on as compared to turn on in this direction versus another direction. Teleporting objects around takes care of many things.

"Triggers" let stuff happen based upon various conditions.

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

These lighting things can be done using a script:

- flash lights by turning them on and off

- change a light's color dynamically

- create beams of light and move them around

These things are already provided for:

- bowling pin physics

- bowling ball physics

Bowling ball return can be done with a mover, teleporter, and ball physics, with some scripting help.

Pin retrieval and setup can be done via scripting.