The Dark Mod Forums

Light distance / candle height / light placement

Deadlove

I've been fooling around with a little area I've been working on in DR and wanted to share some experiences with the community.

I've noticed that the distance of light from an object will affect the size and direction of the shadow it casts to the point that it can greatly make and break the beauty established from a scene walking into the room and seeing its environment and marveling at it as art.

This also applies with heights of things like candles. If we had candles of the same design with different heights (as if the candle wax was more burned down on some of the canldles. This would allow for the shadows to be cast in more upwards directions for lower standing candles creating larger shadows behind them. This would serve as allowing the environment more room for the shadows to play a place in being an art piece than they currently are capable of.

Also I noticed that light placement can be a tool as dangerous as a trap when placed correctly the unsuspecting player will wander into enough light to make them visible to an AI and this can be used as a great mechanic to set traps and force players to look around more and lean and examine the area before moving shadow to shadow without looking all around from different spots, therefore also giving them a chance to view rooms from different angles and appreciate the different perspectives as well as increase the immersion and playtime experience and familiarize themselves with the map as a place and not just a level in a game.

Here's some screenshots to illustrate my points.

post-30727-0-34934900-1456190966_thumb.jpg

Where candle height plays in...

Notice hammer from toolbox and foot at left of table casting shadow against wall. The height of this candle is good for making this illusion work nicely.

Also notice the severed arm on right of table if the candle on the left was shorter ( I don't like the idea of putting inside the table, I've done that and the player can move it and that fucks it up and I don't want the candles to be stationary) then the shadow of the fingers on the hand and arm would cast higher in against the back wall and give a really creepy vibe.

Hope you guys enjoyed my post and got something out of my experience, I'll try to share other things I come across building with the community as well. It's still quite a challenge for me, but that's just cuz the program is massive, there are so many assets, and I don't know have my flow down yet or know where all the stuff is to go to having that memorized so I'm learning but it's gonna take time to become an efficient user of Radiant. I really like the program though! :smug:

Is there one shorter than the one that I am using on the table?

I haven't found it, do you know the name for it in the lights folder in the insert entity menu? I think it's insert entity or insert model, can't remember which.