The Dark Mod Forums

4 practical solotions for "complex" motion. No scripting. Map file included.

STRUNK

Video

I purpously didn't put nodraw texture on elements that should finally be invisable, so you can see what is happening.

At the white wall:

A horizontal slider setup with a "mover_elevator", to control horizontal motion. From the button on the pillar, you trigger a trigger_sequencer, to have the slider go to the next stop. It has a "set frobable"  function to ensure each stage is completed before  all is triggerd again. The red blocks on the wall are the actual elevator buttons. When you frob one, the slider will go to that position. This wil f*ck up the working for the button on the pilar however, but it shows how it works with a (simpler) multiple button setup. (This setup is quite compilcated and the "door stack" method, on the black wall, might be more usefull and simpler in most cases (I think).

A rotating star that rotates 45 degrees and then stops. It uses a custom Stim/Response to make it stop. The Stim is in the little green cube, the Response in the little red cubes (select one cube > Entity (top of the editor window) > Stim/Response ). This setup wil have you rotate something in the same direction, 45 degrees each time, endlessly.

At the black wall: The "genious" door stacks : D

One is a rotating setup, the other a translating setup. The botom door binds to nothing, the door above binds to the botom door, the door above that binds to the door below it etc. Because everyone understands doors, this is a very easy way to create "complex motion". Of course you can have one door rotate, the other translate, an other rotate on an other axis etc. Is there even a limit to what you can do? Yes, it can't do what the black star can do ... ^^

Questions? Ask them.

Motion.map

Edited by STRUNK
  • Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Status Updates

• Ansome

Finally got my PC back from the shop after my SSD got corrupted a week ago and damaged my motherboard. Scary stuff, but thank goodness it happened right after two months of FM development instead of wiping all my work before I could release it. New SSD, repaired Motherboard and BIOS, and we're ready to start working on my second FM with some added version control in the cloud just to be safe!
      · 0 replies
    • Petike the Taffer  »  DeTeEff

I've updated the articles for your FMs and your author category at the wiki. Your newer nickname (DeTeEff) now comes first, and the one in parentheses is your older nickname (Fieldmedic). Just to avoid confusing people who played your FMs years ago and remember your older nickname. I've added a wiki article for your latest FM, Who Watches the Watcher?, as part of my current updating efforts. Unless I overlooked something, you have five different FMs so far.
      · 0 replies
    • Petike the Taffer

I've finally managed to log in to The Dark Mod Wiki. I'm back in the saddle and before the holidays start in full, I'll be adding a few new FM articles and doing other updates. Written in Stone is already done.
      · 4 replies
    • nbohr1more

TDM 15th Anniversary Contest is now active! Please declare your participation: https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/22413-the-dark-mod-15th-anniversary-contest-entry-thread/

· 0 replies
    • JackFarmer

@TheUnbeholden
      You cannot receive PMs. Could you please be so kind and check your mailbox if it is full (or maybe you switched off the function)?
      · 1 reply