The Dark Mod Forums

Windows installer issues

Samus_Aran

I am trying to install the latest version of TDM, I think the last version I played was 2.09a.

1. I am installing to a new folder
  2. My user created the folder and has full write access to it
  3. I am running the extracted .exe file in this new folder

Problem 1:

Why is the installer using the .exe filename as the URL for updating?

This is absolute nonsense.  I name my installers by the date or version number of the installer.  This wasn't a problem in the past for TDM, or for any other thousands of installer I've used over the past 35 years.  Never once have I seen an app look for a local file or external URL based on the name of the installer executable!

According to https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Tdm_installer_and_zipsync#tdm_installer about the installer "The config file is automatically downloaded from hardcoded URL.  It describes all official versions of TDM and mirrors used to download them."

Clearly this is not the case, it is literally using a URL based on the executable name!  I should not be forced to keep a stupid name like tdm_installer.exe that doesn't even specify the version number (in this case v1.11).  I have the previous installers in my downloads folder named/dated appropriately.  The installer won't even work if you change the case of the executable to title case "TDM_Installer.exe"!  It's ridiculous.

84pH3Zz.png

Problem 2:

Why is the install directory listed in red?

My user created the folder and has full write permissions to it.  The installer has no difficulties creating log files in the folder, so it obviously has write permissions.

Problem 3:

Why does the installer not provide any way to specify a new folder to install to?

There is no "New Folder" button anywhere in the GUI.

I'm not sure if typing in a folder name works or not, because it remains red either way, and won't let me continue the install with permission problems.  But regular users should not be required to know this hack.  Also, when you select a folder, the installer does not add "The_Dark_Mod" or whatever as a default folder name like most apps do.  It is left entirely up to the user to create an install folder beforehand.  Kind of defeats the purpose of an installer being quick and easy.

Problem 2 - Follow Up:

I am still unable to install TDM after renaming the .exe to the original lowercase name.  It still complains that I don't have permissions to the folder, but obviously I do!  tdm_installer.exe is creating log files in the folder while telling me that it doesn't have permissions to write to that very same folder!  It's beyond absurd.  Why is the installer lying?

I have solved the issues by changing Security settings so ALL LOGGED IN USERS have full write permissions to the folder, but that is not desired -- why is that necessary?  My user already had full permissions to the folder when creating it, and the installer had write permissions to the folder.

Possible Solution For Problem 1:

The installer should never use the name of the executable for anything to do with local filenames or external URLs.  Update the installer so it does what the Wiki says it does -- uses a fixed URL to get the list of TDM versions.

Possible Solution For Problem 2:

The installer should be updated so it automatically changes permissions to the install folder as-needed.  Requesting UAC privilege escalation if needed to alter the folder permissions.  At the very least it should tell the user what permissions it needs for the folder (it already had full write permissions!).  Heck, just make the installer ATTEMPT to create a file to see if it has permissions.  Clearly it is checking permissions incorrectly and misinforming the user about it, then refusing to continue.

Possible Solution For Problem 3:

Have a way to create a new folder from the installer GUI, such as an "Add Folder" button or a right-click menu with "New Folder".

• Like 1

[posted a lot of text, that it doesnt make sense]

Edit: those are some classic problems, but apparently not solved.
Look at the file organization and the installers code, try to discus about it in this topic and change it.
More info, see compilation guide and tdm installer source.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

On 8/18/2023 at 4:03 AM, Samus_Aran said:

Problem 1:

I guess the reason is that there are several platforms (3 actually), and this behavior was a simple way to support them all without hardcoding all the platforms into source code.
But yes, the fact it stops working after rename is not good 😁

I'll try to fix it somehow.

Problem 2 - Follow Up:

I am still unable to install TDM after renaming the .exe to the original lowercase name.  It still complains that I don't have permissions to the folder, but obviously I do!  tdm_installer.exe is creating log files in the folder while telling me that it doesn't have permissions to write to that very same folder!  It's beyond absurd.  Why is the installer lying?

I have solved the issues by changing Security settings so ALL LOGGED IN USERS have full write permissions to the folder, but that is not desired -- why is that necessary?  My user already had full permissions to the folder when creating it, and the installer had write permissions to the folder.

I'm not sure what the problem is exactly.

The red color for installation path is set based only on the text only.
As I see in the code, having a dot character in path is the reason.
I cannot recall why exactly I did it, but I'm pretty sure I was aware of some problem with this case, so I blocked it out.

Possible Solution For Problem 3:

Have a way to create a new folder from the installer GUI, such as an "Add Folder" button or a right-click menu with "New Folder".

I'll try to add this button, why not.

• Like 1

I uploaded a new version of installer.
Of course, you need to rename old version to its original name for it to self-update.

On 8/18/2023 at 4:03 AM, Samus_Aran said:

Problem 1:

This is absolute nonsense.

The nonsense is fixed 🥺

Now self-update URL is hardcoded at build time.

Problem 2:

Why is the install directory listed in red?

My user created the folder and has full write permissions to it.  The installer has no difficulties creating log files in the folder, so it obviously has write permissions.

I did not remember whether periods in path are forbidden because they don't work or because they would result in confusion for Windows users (accidentally writing/copying filename would result in installer eagerly creating a directory with such name).

I simply added this information to the tooltip.

Apparently, your confusion came from the fact that you read the tooltip, but its contents did not mention that periods are not allowed (it's not mentioned anywhere at all).

Problem 3:

Why does the installer not provide any way to specify a new folder to install to?

There is no "New Folder" button anywhere in the GUI.

I added the button to "Browse" GUI.

The installer is using lightweight FLTK for GUI, so it looks different from native applications, but it should work.

Possible Solution For Problem 2:

The installer should be updated so it automatically changes permissions to the install folder as-needed.  Requesting UAC privilege escalation if needed to alter the folder permissions.  At the very least it should tell the user what permissions it needs for the folder (it already had full write permissions!).  Heck, just make the installer ATTEMPT to create a file to see if it has permissions.  Clearly it is checking permissions incorrectly and misinforming the user about it, then refusing to continue.

The problem had nothing to do with permissions.

But speaking of permissions, the installer shows a warning if user runs if with escalated privilages and discourages user from proceeding. That's because the installer does not mess with OS-specific stuff, so if it creates all the files under admin, the game will only be properly playable under admin too.

• Like 1