The Dark Mod Forums

Wanna Take My Hand At Modelling

Dram

Since i started using milkshape and all, i was just wondering if there were any small models that i could be handed to try and create, that is, if there are any small objects to do. I've already made a tiara, purse, diamond, gold vase etc for my map, so i guess i could try to make something more useful perhaps.

Anyways, just trying to help out.

Any small loot items, like spectacles, golden hammers, or small statues, would be good.

You can also check this post: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=2266

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you upload your new models to CVS and post a screenshot for them? I'd like to get all our finished models onto our master list.

I think it's better if an artists say this. I'm not really sure. It could be that it's just the textures, or they way you are using them here, because in your map they were not so obvious to me.

I think the texture on the glass part definitely needs some work, and the pole looks to new and shiny.It might be a good idea to add some scratches and dirt, as they look as if they just left the factory.

Gerhard

Here's some feedback:

Open pouch: looks good, although I might do something a little less purple...it's almost a cartoon colour compared to the rest of our objects.

Closed pouch: same thing about the colour. It's a little short and fat, so we wouldn't be able to attach it to a model's belt as is.

The rings look good. The vase looks pretty good.

The gemstones should be a richer colour so that they stand out more, especially the ruby. The diamond could be a brighter white, otherwise they'll be very hard to see.

The streetlamps need work. The poles are ok, although the texture needs to be roughed up more and less specular. The tops need a brighter and more yellow look to the glass. See this pic as reference: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=2208

The tiara needs a different texture. I have no problem with the long table, but I can't see a useful difference between the two dressers.

This post raises an interesting question about how many variations of each model we want to include on CVS.

Concerning variations: I would say we create our maps and populate them as they will need it. This should give a good basic set of objects.Maybe it's not enough, though, but then we can still decide what else we need, or where we need mor variations. This would mean that we have at least one map for each set that we want to create. I hope this is ok, but we have a lot of mappers it seems, so it should work.

Gerhard

THe purses are great and I like the hanging lamp, but you need to set the smoothing angle higher. Most objects should be set to 180, and all the points need to be welded as well or the smoothing doesn't work.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

thanks for feedback guys, will do when i get home (at uni now). oDD, im using milkshape, so i dont think you can set the smoothing angle, i will have a look though. Weld vertices - will do.

But welding the vertices looks shit on things which should be flatshaded, such as the commode. Trust me, have a look at it ingame, it looks bad when rounded.

But yeah, i will fix that stuff, i will also try to add a light glare to the lights - experimenting always works.

Obviosuly don't set smoothing high on things that are supposed to look sharp and angular, but on things like the pouch and the vase and the top part of the tri-light should be smooth, not angular like that.

You may have to gvie different surface names to the different parts if you want to have different smoothing angles on the same model. TJHat's better solution then unwelding vertices.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• 1 month later...

Dram: I don't know if you've had a chance to do any revisions on these models, but here's what I'd like to see uploaded before we release the next version to our beta-mappers, if possible:

Upload to CVS:

trigaslight, rings, gold vase (as is)

coin pouches (desaturate purple colour, apply smoothing)

• 5 months later...

I totally forgot about this thread until today.

Here is what the loot models look like now (the lyre is both musical or loot obviously).

As you can see I went through and revised them a bit. The tiara looks better but not finished yet, the pouches are less purple and rounded, the diamond and ruby have a much richer texture (they are not transparent however, they look better this way) and the rings are now rounded and have the nice ruby/diamond.

Here are close ups of the spots:

closeup 1

closeup 2

closeup 3

Are these better now Spring? If they're good enough now I'll just re-organize their material files, synch with cvs and then upload them to cvs.

Ok, made a puch for belts. It's origin is set to be at where the rope ties to the belt.

http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image17tk.jpg

In the above shot the builder has got the pouch below his armour - this is because the pouch can't fit correctly on his belt unless it is rotated to fit like in the below shot:

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image25hh.jpg

Good enough Spring?