The Dark Mod Forums

Melee Weapons Choice In Loadout?

The Bozz

My point is, that I doubt a thief would carry around all kind of "emergency" weapons. He has to rely on stealth and not on force. Carrying around emergency weapons would just encumber him more, and might lead to this very emergency situations that he wants to avoid in the first place.

Gerhard

obscurus, about the body awareness, i would like it if it was fully smooth and all, but if it was like tds id hate it, cos it was wierd turning and all. But i can assure you that seeing your shadow on the ground when you move around is just as good ;)

I'm doubtful of the effectiveness of a dagger against a guard in an emergency situation. The reason I'd support having a shortsword is that then you have a HOPE of getting within the guard's reach, whereas with a dagger, you'd have your arm sliced off. A dagger is not a weapon for attacking guards except for stealthy kills; it irritated me that it was possible to kill guards toe-to-toe in TDS with it.

As far as toe-to-toeing goes, it ought to be somewhat more tricky. "You are not a tank," but your enemies practically are ;) While I don't think the idea of having nothing to save your butt is a good one, in TDS attacking the enemy was a valid tactic :(

--

Somethin' fishy's goin' on here... Come on out, you taffer!

~The Fishy Taffer

Maybe against a knight in a full suit of armour, but even the heaviset armoured guards in this game haven't that much armour,. only a breastplate, bracers or a helmet. Chainmail does not restrict movement that much and you couldn't pierce chainmail with a dagger anyway.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Well, I personaly play on expert so there isn't any particular use of weapons, except zombies. You don't use anything but blackjack on guards/masons.

May the Abyss rule!

Shadow of the Serpent Riders fan.

My point is, that I doubt a thief would carry around all kind of "emergency" weapons. He has to rely on stealth and not on force. Carrying around emergency weapons would just encumber him more, and might lead to this very emergency situations that he wants to avoid in the first place.

But you missed my point. The dagger is not primarily a weapon, it is a tool. The thief carries it around as cutting implement to free a purse from someones belt, a painting from its frame etc. IMO it would be the only weapon the thief would carry, and would be one of a few tools used for stealthy thieving. A small dagger is of no encumberance, unlike a bow with a quiver full of 30 arrows or a shortsword.

My weapons loadout screen would list the following weapons:

1. Dagger (primarily to be used as a tooll, not a weapon).

As far as iusing the dagger in emergency situations, I am talking about relatively stealthy kills (shough stabbing someone with a dagger should be messy, bloody and not that quiet), not going toe to toe with a guard - you should rightly be slaughtered like a pig if you actually get into fisticuffs with a guard.

Of course, you would have to implement the dagger as a tool with some animations and coding etc, so I expect to have to do that myself, but hopefully you get the idea. :)

I am not in favour of combat or murder in TDM (except in very restricted situations), that isn't what it should be about, and weapons should be restricted to dual use ones that have severe limitations, ie daggers and the like.

If I could mod... Well, I suppose everyone says that. Anyway, with this doom editor, can someone with absolutely zero knowledge of modding make a mod for doom 3? Or maybe you can read some tutorials? I'm not talking about expert modding, just for fun, you know.

May the Abyss rule!

If I could mod... Well, I suppose everyone says that. Anyway, with this doom editor, can someone with absolutely zero knowledge of modding make a mod for doom 3? Or maybe you can read some tutorials? I'm not talking about expert modding, just for fun, you know.

Yeah, if you just want to make some Doom 3 style levels then all you need to do is read up on some tutorials. If you're looking to actually 'modify' the game, that's a different story and will require varying skills.

Is there an editor anyway? My version definately has only DooM itself in it, even though FarCry has an editor.

May the Abyss rule!

Is there an editor anyway? My version definately has only DooM itself in it, even though FarCry has an editor.

The editor is built into Doom3 itself. For doom 3 specific usage, take a quick look through the forums at www.doom3world.org, it will help you get started with doom 3 level editing. :) You can see the editor by bringing down the console and just typing editor when you have doom3 running. This isn't the best way to start it though.

You actually need to create a copy of the doom 3 shortcut and make some changes to the "target" path. I can't remember exactly what you have to do at the moment and I'm almost falling asleep. If you have trouble finding the directions over there either myself or someone here will look it up.

Hmmm, I hoped it was divided from DooM 3 itself... I'll have to reinstall DooM 3 now. Thanks for the help anyway.

May the Abyss rule!

But you missed my point. The dagger is not primarily a weapon, it is a tool. The thief carries it around as cutting implement to free a purse from someones belt, a painting from its frame etc. IMO it would be the only weapon the thief would carry, and would be one of a few tools used for stealthy thieving. A small dagger is of no encumberance, unlike a bow with a quiver full of 30 arrows or a shortsword.

I understand your point. But I don't think that cutting purses has been done with a dagger. AFAIK this has been done with a specialzed knife, because you would have a hard time doing this with a dagger without noticing by the victim. :)

1. Dagger (primarily to be used as a tooll, not a weapon).

As far as iusing the dagger in emergency situations, I am talking about relatively stealthy kills (shough stabbing someone with a dagger should be messy, bloody and not that quiet), not going toe to toe with a guard - you should rightly be slaughtered like a pig if you actually get into fisticuffs with a guard.

If you stabb somebody with a dagger without him noticing it, it's certainly not messy at all. Quite on teh contrary, this should be rather fast and pretty quiet (depends on the constituation of the victim of course).

Gerhard

D3 comes with a builtin editor, so your version will have it as well. As for tutorials I suggest going to this site and registering there http://www.doom3world.org.

As for modding. Witht he tools available you can create primarily levels which are just more of D3 maps. If you can do your own textures, then you can create maps which look very different from D3 maps but will have the same gameplay elements. Without touching the code, you can already create different weapons and scripting can help you create other stuff. You can also replace the player and AI models as long as they are similar enough (in behaviour, not in appearance) to the original game. If you want to start implementing different behaviour, or totally new features, as we do here, then you need to code it in C++ using the SDK. With the SDK you have a pretty good access to most parts of the game. You can create new AI, new physics, completely new wepaon types ore new special effects (like the lightgem that we are doing or soundpropagation which we also need).

So depending on your skills or your determination you can go pretty deep or stay at a higher level. Whatever you want to invest in terms of time.

Gerhard

D:\Games\Doom3\Doom3.exe +set r_gamma 1 +set r_brightness 1 +set r_mode 5 +set r_fullscreen 0 +set r_multiSamples 0 +editor

Thats my shortcut to the doom3 editor. To explain what each does:

+set r_gamma 1 - sets the gamma to default (you need proper colours and gamma for editing maps)

+set r_brightness 1 - sets brightness to default (again, you need natural brightness, or it will look off)

+set r_mode 5 - sets screen size to a 10x8 ratio

+set r_fullscreen 0 - makes it windowed, apparently the editor has problems running fullscreen or something

+set r_multiSamples 0 - sets AntiAliasing to 0 (having it on when editing is just stupid)

+editor - the actual command to open the editor

Hope this helps heXen. BTW, as Spar said, this works for any Doom3, including the demo as far as i remember.