The Dark Mod Forums

Sfx/game

sparhawk

Whats the purpose of sfx/game? There are only two files in there, namely mission_objective and mission_start.

Besides, mission_start is IMO totally unsuitable. Nevertheless, I was looking for the frob sound, but this is in world. I would have exepected this also to be in game. I supposed the game folder would get all sounds that are releated to metagameinfo like mission start, mission completed, failed, objective reached and probably others, that I currently can't think of. As such lootacquirement is also a kind of metainfo and not really a world interaction, even though it is triggered by it.

Gerhard

You're correct - metainfo sounds should go there. I can't answer for pak why he put the frob sound not in there though.

About the level-start... nah, about these "info" sounds in general: I mentioned elsewhere that we need a good review of them, because they need to be consistant (it wouldn't do if the "objective complete" and the "objective failed" jingle would sound completely different, imo) and most people should be cool with them, because they will be played a lot.

I think the best way would be if we had different examples (if possible by different sound people, "sets" so to say) and the choose those most people can agree upon.

First of all, sparhawk, for the last time, CHECK THE STICKY! I don't know how many times I've said it now. It explains all your questions. Argh! :)

Anyway, game is meant for menu sfx (button clicks) etc etc, and yes, also info like objectives/player start blah blah.

Why is frob_loot located in world? Again, check the design doc. EVERY frob sound is located there, so it's only logical to put loot there as well. After all, a loot item is an object like everything else, a drawer, an apple, a door, which each has a different frob sound.

Also, remember that you all agreed to this layout a long time ago (which was drawn out by me and new horizon when we started the mod). And now that we where doing the big reorg a few weeks ago I even asked all of you to go through the design docs and see if there was anything you wanted to change. If no one says anything, I have to assume you are alright with it. Argh! :)

It's mostly fine :) , but I still think loot should be in game because it's not related to a specific world object, it's related to information the player gets on his progress.

When the player opens a draw it's related to a specific object, like a drawer in this case. There is no way that a drawer sound would be played because the player frobbed a door, or vice versa. On the other hand, if the player frobs a painting, a coin, a statue or a bottle of wine, it will always be the same sound if it is loot, because this is not related to the object itself, it's related to the gamestatus.

Gerhard

Different types of drawers, different types of loot :)

Well, personally I know I would look for frob_loot among the other frob sounds, but let's hear what others have to say about it then.

Edit - Also, it doesn't really matter, since FM-authors don't really have to bother about it anyway do they? The sfx will be coded in by us.