The Dark Mod Forums

Something To Look Forward To

When in the 1970's word spread out about the mouse-window computer interface as opposed to entering text some people were excited. I am no longer excited about using a mouse and a monitor to play thief-like things. When time permits, (in a few years) I'm going to buy some equipment like

5DT Data Glove Ultra Wireless Kit

and

hi-Res800™ (2D/3D)

and try to make darkmod into what I wish it to be. The movements of hands will correspond generally to various forces applied around you in the environment (eg. climbing an overhead branch or beam, something that's not possible in traditional engines), deft maneuvering (eg. to snatch a purse or slide by in a door half-ajar) and gesticulations to control variables such as movement vectors and positions (crouching, holding breath, etc). It's nice to see that already people are having success viewing their favourite games in 3d (since all computers games are "3d rendered" now people call them stereovision to be clear), eg: medal of honour allied assault, system shock 2, (thief doesn't work), soul reaver 2, .. these guys got doom 3 working with 3d. http://forums.stereovision.net/viewtopic.p...1760&forum=5&10

site about drivers and computer game stereovision benchmarks: http://www.stereovision.net/toxicx/1050info.htm

Everybody likes new, groundbreaking 3D interfaces that utilise the full range of your body's motion to communicate with the PC.

For the first 10 minutes, that is.

I wouldn't like to imagine what my arms would feel like after a 2 hour gaming session using such technology.

The whole point of videogaming is that you're NOT engaging in physical activity.

That depends on your favourite gaming habits, but I don't think this is generaly true. The whole point of video gaming is to have fun, and, as it is the case with RPGs and fantasy, to experience stories, that you normally wouldn't. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense for people to go to live action role playing games.

Even in case of sports games it is hard to argue that the people don't want to have the physical execercise (which may be true to some extent). Because the fun of playing a soccer simulation is also that you can play in a worldchampionship with all the big names. A simple 'proof' for this assumption is, that it is VERY important for a sport game to have the 'proper' licenze with all the real names.

Gerhard

Personally, I like those semi-recent arcade games where they track you doing things like swinging a sword or ducking behind cover. Of course I probably couldn't play them for 8 hours straight, but it's a fun gimmick. On the other hand, Nintendo Olympics: not fun.

The whole point of videogaming is that you're NOT engaging in physical activity.

I might believe you if it weren't for the existance of Time Crisis, Dance Dance Revolution, i-toy for PS2, etc, and all their fans.

I played a sword game at the arcade where you actualy held a fake sword thing, and the game picks up all your movements. No need for a block button, parry button - just do whatever, and if you're good enough, it works. It was awesome, it was like being in a manga movie. The cutting damage happened exactly where you cut, so you could cut things down, and aim for individual body parts on enemies. But the focus was the combat - seeing a sword swing come, and then pushing the sword in the right direction and angle to block it effectively. If you did it forcefully enough, you could sucesfully block it. If you pushed the sword the right way, you could even parry instead, putting the enemy on their back foot, and leaving them open for you to get a hit in.

The physics were realy good, it wasn't a bunch of pre-scripted moves, like a traditional controller game has to be...

Newflash - the Wii isn't doing anything new - it's just bringing it into the home.

The way things are going, it'll give some much needed excercise into this heavily armchair/computer chair based culture most of the world lives in.

And yet, didn't anyone play Die By The Sword? They did that (roughly) in 1998 with a mouse, and all anyone did was complain that it was "too hard, waah!" If players didn't become an expert within 5 minutes (when it actually takes weeks), it must be crap. Bunch of whiners, the lot of 'em. As a result, no sequel, and thus back we go to sword "combat" like Morrowind, precanned moves (love Blade of Darkness or not, it was as precanned as it gets), and the always innovative shooters. :\

I know this has been said before, but I think it bears mentioning again: Mount&Blade. Best sword combat I've seen with any mouse-and-keyboard interface to date, and an incredibly fun game in itself.

Pretty amazing, the entire project is the work of 2 or 3 people. It's in beta, but everything is fully functional, and it only continues to improve. Plus it's only $14 to get the full version of the game!

Edited by thestemmer

Too much of that going on around here. ;)

If they are going to give the tools why not mod it to what you want it to be? ALso I'll play through it first and then mod it.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

I'll re-back up the recommendation of Mount & Blade. Great game, good combat (second best in my mind only to Die By The Sword) especially if you configure it with some freedom (don't use the automatic settings), good fun. I can't wait to see what Armagan (and fans) do with the full version. Even just trotting on a horse in battle or in a city makes my heart skip a bit.

It's an honour to have Dom, Isht, and spar actively engaging in this thread. By the way, to humour you, I'm reading darkmod forums in Links after getting tired from learning bash scripting (I don't have X installed, nor do I really want to into my 32M of mem.) and it's nice to be able to quick reply and see that these forums are Links friendly.