The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Reorg Progress

sparhawk

I've just gotten out of school, and whenever I'm not doing chores I'll be spending my time on TDM. I should be able to make a lot of progress by the 18th, (I'll get a lot of the stone/tile textures moved) though I'm doubtful everything will be complete by then.

Or should we release and put this in next time?

Definately a bad idea, they'd have to replace texture -again- and it would make them very unhappy. I was thinking more a separate "patch" which puts them in etc.

Hmm... I may need to try delegating some of the work; for me the hardest part is deciding what kinds of materials things should really be. I'm still having some trouble with stone vs. tile; SneaksieDave submitted a wonderful tile texture, though according to our standards it's not tile.

Then don't classify it as 'tile'. Those definitions are only for sound purposes. I don't see why it's still so confusing.

The reason it's tricky is because it affects the texture's name

Well, that might make it tricky for the mapper to find a particular 'look' for their floor, but it's better they know what kind of sound it will make for the player.

Anyway, just let me know if you want any help.

I just wanted to say that the texture reorg is pretty much done. There's a few textures I haven't moved:

• The two pagan decal textures.
  • The sfx textures.
  • Most importantly, the window textures.

I haven't yet moved the window textures because I'd like to spend time researching different ways of doing windows to get a feel for what looks best. I'd like to suggest that we don't move the windows for the update, and tell mappers that we reserve the right to alter how windows are done in a future release, so they should only use current windows for placeholder purposes.

Eek... I just remembered, I need to add Sneaksie Dave's textures before the update... I'll get that done now.

Hmmm... If the windows also need to be changed, it's better now than later. I can understand that mappers get frustrated if we constantly break their maps. Such things should be decided as early as possible to avoid this.

Or at least, we can deliver it now as it is, and make a new update shortly after which does the windows. Would this be ok?

Gerhard

I suppose so... I just want some time to play around and see what sorts of window effects I can come up with.

At the very least, I don't like how we use different source images for different colored windows. (I feel that it's wasteful of memory and file sizes) I'd like to try to design a window texture that can be given any arbitrary color. I also have some ideas with using light spectrums to target specific parts of windows so that the frames and window-panes are hit by different lights, which could allow for better flexibility and nicer looking windows.