The Dark Mod Forums

Gleeful's Texture Blowout I: Floors

gleeful

Greetings everyone!

I've made quite a few textures whilst mapping in the course of the last year and now I feel it's finally time to share some of them (namely the better ones).

The quality of the textures is not constant I'm afraid (those textures which were modelled will invariably look much better than those made purely in PS), but I'll just include everything I deem usable for now and leave the final decision to you.

This thread is of course especially directed at Gildoran, but I would greatly appreciate everyone's input ansuggestions.

Here we go:

cobblestonescomplete5no.jpg

Cobblestones (modelled).

stonefancomplete4au.jpg

Stonefan with grass beneath (modelled).

stonefandarkcomplete8lr.jpg

Stonefan with earth beneath (modelled).

Hope you like them - lots more to come.

Gotta run,

gleeful

I like them too, especially the first one. :)

The stonefans are too clean IMHO. I would suggest mixing diffuse map with some dirt texture. That's just 5 minutes job but this should make them more believable and realistic.

Thanks for the feedback people! :)

I dirtified the stonefans and posted smaller (and updated) screenshots.

I also especially like that first one. :) Where can I download a pk4 from?

I don't have any webspace at my disposal I'm afraid - we can do it via FTP again if you like.

Very nice work gleeful. :)

What size are your textures? We're switching over to .dds format and we can now accept 1024 x 1024 into the standard repository.

I know - most of them are older though and only 512x512. I could of course re-render / reconstruct most of them in 1024x1024, it just doesn't seem necessary and I'm short on time.

All my newer ones are 1024x though. :)

I know - most of them are older though and only 512x512. I could of course re-render / reconstruct most of them in 1024x1024, it just doesn't seem necessary and I'm short on time.

All my newer ones are 1024x though. :)

No worries about that. :) Whatever is made as 512 is fine as is.

@Gleeful: Are you sure the specularmap for the cobblestone/stonefan has much of an effect? When I move around, I don't notice the brightness changing based on perspective at all.

Unfortunately, for some reason I can't load up your specular tgas in gimp (it thinks it can load them but the images show up corrupted), so I can't tell if they're non-black. My guess is that they might only have a single channel and gimp might not like that. Anyway, I've been searching google for something that will fix that, but so far without much luck.

Since I'm not noticing the effects of the specular maps and textures with specular maps take about twice as much processing power, I'll add the stone textures but omit their specular maps... if you think the specular maps should be added, say something and I'll do so.

Ok, I've added the cobblestone texture as stone/floor/cobble_004.

As for the stone fan textures, their normalmaps look very similar... would it be ok with you if I use the same normalmap for both textures?

As for the marble textures, what sort of scale do you picture them typically being used at? (I'm guessing 1 or 2)

@Gleeful: Are you sure the specularmap for the cobblestone/stonefan has much of an effect? When I move around, I don't notice the brightness changing based on perspective at all.

Yeah, I'm sure it does, although you don't necessarily need it. They are that dark because with brighter specular-maps you easily get that plasticky-look.

As for the stone fan textures, their normalmaps look very similar... would it be ok with you if I use the same normalmap for both textures?

That's for you to decide. They are very similar, but there are certain differences (stones with the earthy background etc.).

As for the marble textures, what sort of scale do you picture them typically being used at? (I'm guessing 1 or 2)

I have no idea what kind of scale you are referring to. :unsure:

In DoomEdit Units I'd say 16x16 sounds about right.

Kind regards

gleeful

Sorry about not adding any textures in a couple of days... I've been trying to work out why I've been having problems converting normalmaps to DDS files. Anyway, I have it figured out, so I'll be adding more textures. :)

Yeah, I'm sure it does, although you don't necessarily need it. They are that dark because with brighter specular-maps you easily get that plasticky-look.
After trying to get a specular for Sneaksie Dave's wood looking right, I see what you mean. In any case, I'll take another look at what the texture looks like with a specular map. I may add two versions of the texture - one with a specular and one without.

I have no idea what kind of scale you are referring to. :unsure: In DoomEdit Units I'd say 16x16 sounds about right.
By scale, I mean: when you texture a brush with your material, in the texture surface editor what number do you multiply the texture's scale by to get it to be the right size? (e.g. if you use 2, it halves the dimensions of your texture) Or, what size brush would you use "fit" on? (I'm guessing you didn't really mean 16x16 doom units, since that's a 1.5 foot square, and those textures seem much too large to be repeated every foot)

By scale, I mean: when you texture a brush with your material, in the texture surface editor what number do you multiply the texture's scale by to get it to be the right size? (e.g. if you use 2, it halves the dimensions of your texture) Or, what size brush would you use "fit" on? (I'm guessing you didn't really mean 16x16 doom units, since that's a 1.5 foot square, and those textures seem much too large to be repeated every foot)

Well, I always go "by eye" when fitting a texture, but yes in case of the marble-textures 16x16 Doom Units is right.

I sincerely apologize for checking a third time, but I don't remember seeing you scale down marble so much in any of your screenshots. Here's a screenshot of what that scale looks like: (the little cube is 16x16x16 doom units, and the marble texturing has been fit to it)

post-244-1151653922_thumb.jpg

Is this your intended scale? (admittedly it works pretty well as tiles :)) I promise not to ask again, and abide by what you say for the scale. Anyway, the reason I'm asking is for setting the default scale.

I sincerely apologize for checking a third time, but I don't remember seeing you scale down marble so much in any of your screenshots. Here's a screenshot of what that scale looks like: (the little cube is 16x16x16 doom units, and the marble texturing has been fit to it)

post-244-1151653922_thumb.jpg

Is this your intended scale? (admittedly it works pretty well as tiles :)) I promise not to ask again, and abide by what you say for the scale. Anyway, the reason I'm asking is for setting the default scale.

No, that is not my intended scale! :D

We seem to have a different understanding of what constitutes 1 Doom Unit.

The way I learned it from various tutorials always refers to 1 Unit in the default Grid size of 8 (see screenshot). This also corresponds to the default units of 3DS Max, so I never questioned it.

doomunits0pz.jpg

Hope we've got that cleared up! :)

Kind Regards

gleeful

Ah, my understanding was that a grid-size of 8 meant that each grid square was 8 doom units long... Heh, 16 units sounds reasonable now that I know what you mean.

BTW, I've added the specularmap for the cobblestone, and made two versions of the material: one that uses the specular map and one that doesn't.

I've added the two stonefan textures as stone/floor/fan_001_dirt and stone/floor/fan_001_grass. I was going to make a third texture that could vertex blend between the two, but I don't have any surfaces to test it on, and I was having trouble with InverseVertexColor acting exactly the same as VertexColor. I guess that'll have to wait for later. I've decided to use the same normalmap for the two, since I could not tell the difference between them when inside the game. (admittedly, it's possible if looking at the normalmaps in GIMP, but when actually used with diffusemaps I didn't notice any difference)

Ah, my understanding was that a grid-size of 8 meant that each grid square was 8 doom units long... Heh, 16 units sounds reasonable now that I know what you mean.

And you're absolutely right about that too. :blush:

I'm a very confused person. Weirdly enough I start to think of the Grid8 Units as DoomEdit Units whenever I do the basic brush architecture and texturing. Probably beacuse its easier to operate with the smaller numbers.

Very much embarrassed,

gleeful

I'm going to try to get your marble floors on CVS tommorrow (I was planning on tonight, but as it turns out I'll be spending the 4th of july with my family). There's one issue though... For future reference, all source images need to have dimensions that are exponents of 2. (there's several marble textures that aren't) If an image has a size that's not an exponent of 2, it ends up getting shrunk by the graphics card, and has lower quality as a result. It's ok to have a texture who's editor image's size isn't an exponent of 2 (resulting in a texture that appears to have a different size), but the source images for in-game rendering need to have correct sizes. Anyway, I guess I'll expand the source images.

If an image has a size that's not an exponent of 2, it ends up getting shrunk by the graphics card, and has lower quality as a result.

Yeah, I know - didn't know back in the day when I made those though and didn't think about it now. Dastardly things! ;)

I had thought that the editor images weren't restricted by the power of two thing, and that you could use them to create arbitrarily proportioned textures (even if the source textures weren't)... Unfortunately, I just did further testing and discovered that's not true. It appears that editor images get rounded down too... this means that when the trim textures are loaded up into the editor, they're distorted. (e.g. the checkers become diamonds)

One possibilty would be to apply corrective scaling in the material, but that has the problem that you'd no longer be able to 'fit' the texture to a face.

Anyway, I'll upload the center designs for now, and then try to figure out what to do about the trims afterwards.