The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Reorg Finished?

gleeful

I have just updated everything via Cvs, resulting in pretty much all TDM textures not being found. That's to be expected of course.

What I didn't expect was that a lot of the new shader-names as listed in the replacements.txt file found in the materials folder aren't working either as of yet.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Could you describe how they're not working? There might have been one or two lines that might not have worked, but I think 99% of the lines were working, and I've used replacements.txt to update maps before without problems.

Well I got the usual "WARNING: Couldn't load image:" message with various panels, wallpapers etc.

I have just run the Cvs again however and now it seems to be working. Maybe the first update was incomplete although it said it exited normally.

UPDATE: Seems the Find/Replace Option is just somewhat buggy. I encountered the same problems again but after I closed and restarted DoomEd it worked as it did before. Strange.

@Gleeful: I was just looking into putting your target range map up on CVS, but I don't know where anything is supposed to go, and it looks like your target models point directly to images rather than materials, and someone has to convert them from ASE to LWO as well (don't have a modeling program myself). Do you have time to put that map and related textures/models up on CVS sometime in the future? If not I can keep working on it, but it's kind've slow 'cause I don't know what I'm doing. :)

...and it looks like your target models point directly to images...

That would very much surprise me (ie my version does not).

...someone has to convert them from ASE to LWO...

Why? .ASE is one of the standard formats Doom3 accepts and one that allows me to export directly out of MAX (doesn't have an .LWO exporter).

Apart from that I'll gladly help, though I don't know the proper procedure for putting stuff on Cvs.

Oh, nevermind, I didn't see the materials for them earlier, and just saw them in gleeful.mtr. Like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing. :)

As for ASE vs LWO, I don't know but I just saw a thread where New Horizon said we should use LWO. Something about can't have multiple materials on an ASE?

I guess the first thing would be getting the target and wall models up. Someone will probably correct me, but these would be the tentative places I'd put them in the CVS directory structure if I had to choose:

justice wall model:

/models/darkmod/architecture/

target model:

/darkmod/models/darkmod/props/misc ??

Actually, just found a thread that explains this stuff (for models at least) :

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=1559

It looks like you should make a separate material file for each model.

Also in the material files for the models, make sure to put the surface type in so that arrows stick in the targets, either

wood

for wood, or

surftype15
description "straw"

for straw. (Also you can put whatever you want after straw in the description, as long as it's separated by a space).

As for non-model textures, and in particular textures specific to the map like the yardage markings on the ground, I'm not sure where those should go. You might want to ask Gildoran since he's the texturing lead.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but maybe someone from modeling/textures can explain it better. :)

The city/mansion/castle folders only have window textures in them. The window textures haven't been moved yet because there's a lot of different ways of doing them, which we've been discussing. (see the thread about glaze textures/etc) I'd like to make sure that we can decide on a good way of doing them before we start moving/converting them. (in particualr, I'm thinking of sepperating the glow into a different texture that the mapper can control more easily with lights)

There's a slate folder on my machine, and CVS says the slate material has been commited, so I don't know why it's not showing up on yours.

Gleeful, do you mean an actual file folder, or a path in DoomEd? If the former, I don't have a file folder either, just the virtual path in DoomEd. It does get confusing, when looking up a material's assets, and you're looking for a "stone" but instead of going to /stone, you must go to /mansion/wall... Is moving files part of the reorg plan? Such a move would be transparent to users.

Edit: To clarify, here's what I have as file folders.

What seems like post-reorg organization, as they are all "types" of materials:

ceramic

sky

snow

stone

tile

wood

What seems pre-reorg:

castle

city

inventory(?)

litwindows(?)

mansion

nature

pagan

set(?)

sfx(?)

Also, while we're on the topic: Should we be moving other hot items into TDM's folder structure? For example, right now, portal skies are (for whatever reason) in a folder named "smf"(?) - I had to open someone else's map to find it. And TDM waters are in water_source. Then again, if we go that far, should it also include everything "special and useful? (e.g., portal)" I'd say no, because those are standard Doom3 assets; they shouldn't move. But new ones added by us, like portal skies and water, probably should be grouped with our stuff.

I got confused by the textures as well--the folders are still the old ones, but the editor paths are new.

I was planning on going through and updating the asset paths after the reorg, whenever I got spare time. Since the asset paths are transparent to mappers, I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to move those around whenever. Any new textures that have been added after the reorg have the correct asset path.

For example, right now, portal skies are (for whatever reason) in a folder named "smf"(?) - I had to open someone else's map to find it.

I believe portal skies must have that name because it's hardcoded into the engine that way (just like common/clip and all that stuff). We tried changing it earlier and they stopped working. Maybe there's a way, but I didn't want to spend a lot of time on it just for the name.