The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Groups Removed

The ugly list of "texture groups" has now been removed from the Textures menu. Textures can now be loaded individually or by directory via the Media Browser.

Keep an eye out for anything texture-related that breaks, since I have ripped out a large amount of legacy code from texwindow.cpp.

My Media Browser tab is just white and empty. I see the context menu when I right click into the white space, but then DR hangs and starts to eat up my memory (went up to 600 Megs till I terminated the process).

No, forgot to say that this is on my Windows partition, Doom 3 is working just fine. I checked the radiant.log file but there doesn't appear anything suspicious. Can't you reproduce it on your Windows installation?

I will check on Windows tonight. A couple of things to check:

1) If you don't right click on the Media Browser but just wait, does the tree appear? If not, there may be a problem with the recursive tree construction which might explain the memory usage.

2) Is the problem caused by choosing "Load in textures view" from the context menu when nothing is selected? Perhaps there is a problem with getting the selection from the treeview if nothing is selected.

ad 1) I didn't wait too long, but the tree did not appear in that time. How long does it usually take to load the tree? (If this normally takes more time than the average mapper is inclined to wait, we should have something like "Loading Texture Tree - please wait" appear in the window instead.)

Don't know if the memory usage went out of hand before or after clicking the context menu. Will check that when I get home.

ad 2) There was certainly nothing selected, as I couldn't select anything. There was just a blank white space spanning over the whole tab content. Maybe this is related, but I can't say. The context menu worked however.

If you can't reproduce it on your system I will try to debug this on my system.

It does sound like there is some problem with the tree construction (maybe the bottom-out condition is not being triggered), this should only take a few seconds (like the model selector tree). If there is some reason why it takes longer then I will put in a "process GTK events" line into each recursive call so that the window is updated and the tree is displayed as it is constructed.

I just checked: the Tree view does not appear within 30 seconds, memory usage stays constant. As soon as I right-click into the white space, DR starts eating memory.

This does not appear under Linux, the tree view appears almost instantly, maybe there is some problem with the paths (slash direction or something like that)?

Looks not bad, by the way. Do you intend to add a preview for the selected textures as you highlight them in the view? Can they be added to the texture view by double-click in addition to the context menu?

I just checked: the Tree view does not appear within 30 seconds, memory usage stays constant. As soon as I right-click into the white space, DR starts eating memory.

This does not appear under Linux, the tree view appears almost instantly, maybe there is some problem with the paths (slash direction or something like that)?

Damn, I hate Windows-specific problems, it means horribly slow compilation and link times. At least if it is replicatable it shouldn't take too long to investigate.

Looks not bad, by the way. Do you intend to add a preview for the selected textures as you highlight them in the view? Can they be added to the texture view by double-click in addition to the context menu?

Yes, it will be the standard tree/preview/infotable combination. Not sure about the doubleclicking though, it is quite easy to accidentally double-click and loading a large number of textures can take a long time (I need to add a modal progress dialog for this, rather than just blocking the GUI for a minute).

And what the hell is up with my build times? I'm getting 5 seconds link all of a sudden, rather than the 90 seconds I was used to.

This has to be the all-time record. Thanks for fixing this, what was the problem after all?

This has to be the all-time record. Thanks for fixing this, what was the problem after all?

The problem was that the callback function for an expose (redraw) event needs to return FALSE to ensure the event is propagated to its default handlers (which in this case cause the tree view to be displayed). I had defined it as void which meant presumably its return value was undefined as far as GTK was concerned, thus causing platform-specific behaviour.